DStv and Netflix killing online piracy in South Africa

crackersa

Honorary Master
Or the last few weeks was a slow down in shows (in between mid season shows) as well as not many movies released on Blu-ray in the last few weeks.

cpu.

Expert Member
Add Kodi in the non-torrent section too...

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
It's easy to sail the high seas without using torrents or newsgroups. So even though there is less traffic from those two sources it may not be an indication that there is less online piracy taking place.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
Not exactly, seedboxes and the Kodi addons people use is still pirated content it's just not seen as P2P and NNTP.

Dolby

Honorary Master
As we've said in surveys years and years ago, give us affordable and convenient access to movies ... and we won't pirate. We're heading in the right direction but with the geographic blocking, may as well pirate the things we can't get until that is sorted ...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Lol DStv is too expensive and Netflix SA is a joke. I still believe Google, Apple or Plex will give us something better (even if it's at a more premium price of $15). Till then Kodi is enough.

lexis

Netflix killing online piracy and DStv in South Africa

Got Netflix: torrents down by 90% and ....:rolleyes: ..... DStv killed! :)

adrianx

Expert Member
I don't think DStv is part of the solution, they are a huge part of the problem!

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I really don't like pirating stuff. Give me comprehensive quality services and I'll pay happily.

I can't remember the last time I pirated music, a book or a game. Probably in high school. Apple Music, the Kindle store, GOG, Steam etc. have totally eliminated the need for piracy.

As for series, many aren't available timeously or at all if you don't pirate. And films especially - it's insane how often I have an HD download of a film that is still showing in theatres here. I remember a discussion on MyBB a few years ago about a study that claimed the biggest trigger for piracy is delayed releases, and yet Ster-Kinekor and Nu Metro continue to screw us around with loads of slow releases every year.

4ftersh0ck

I'll echo what everyone has said here. Netflix has such a clean interface and the streaming is awesome. The only issue is content, give me access to the US content and I would be happy to pay more than $9.99 a month. I am not sure what would be a good price point. Maybe around R390 => $30