DSTV and Ubuntu problem

jacquez

HI
I have a strange problem.

Using a Windows laptop, fibre connection, we have access to the full online DSTV service.
Not so on an Ubuntu box. The Ubuntu box plays Youtube video fine; and also downloaded video using VLC.

Within the DSTV framework, program (video, news, etc) icons all show. When clicking the new instance does open, the advertisement plays, but nothing happens afterwards. This happens in any DSTV mode - from Live, to Catchup etc.

Previous online discussions suggested changing from Firefox to Chrome. No luck.
Other suggested the problem relates to DRM setting. No luck there either.

Why would a Windows box have zero problems, but the Ubuntu box seems to freeze up (actually, it is the streaming freezing up)?

Any suggestions for a possible fix?

Thanks

BayCityRoller

Maybe try it on a "Live CD" version (on a USB stick) of a derivative such as Linux Mint which is also on 20.04 LTS, or the LMDE version, or even Peppermint OS which is still on the 18.04 LTS base.

With Peppermint at least, if it works, you'll know that changes from 18.04 to 20.04 has something to do with it.

I found that some things which were non-functional for me on Ubuntu 20.04 - especially USB type A and C connectors - and only functioning in KDE for a limited time, have worked flawlessly on Peppermint & Linux Mint.

They worked fine in Ubuntu Budgie, so my point really is, that you might need to try other desktops to find one or two that work, and might need to switch across from just running the "Live CD" if it's that important to you to have on Linux.

jacquez

Thanks BayCityRoller.
On my office box I reverted back to 18, as I experienced too many conflicts, issues and problems with 20. I've been on Ubuntu since 14, never had so many problems as with 20.

The box I wrote about is for our home entertainment system, and I built it form the start with 18.

I'll try what you suggest in about 2 week's time when I will have some time again for problem-solving. To be honest, I was tempted to do the sacriligious thing by replacing Ubuntu with Win (don't shoot!).

wesleycoleman

This has been an issue with streaming DSTV for some time, years even. Multichoice is aware of this but have not yet fixed anything.