DStv boycott - R10,000 offered for cutting the cord

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The lower tiers have almost no margin where the premium tier is where most the profits made. There business plan doesn't work without the premium bouquet subscribers.
For now they are still growing revenue year on year even with the Premium exodus, don't remember about profits there's an article on this site about it. I'm willing to bet profit margins on Compact and Compact + is pretty high also. They'll just keep increasing the prices of all their other bouquets to make up for the shortfall for the near future

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
They are indeed. In many African countries you get a cheap sub with SS3 and 10 giving all the soccer needed. But the full bouquet is just as pricey as at home.
What pisses me off is Monochoice only offering rugby on the premium option ...but at the same time offering soccer (of which they also paid gazillions for the various broadcasting monopolies) on the cheap packages. It's clearly a message to the rugby lovers (think mainly white okes) that they are seen by Monochoice as a very convenient milking cow.

Ryansr

Expert Member
I do hope that this movement gains as much traction as #feesmustfall. What's the official hash tag to support the movement of canceling DSTV? :unsure:

Hasie6

Go Steve. Go Netflix + amazon Prime. MC is a bunch of ##$. SABC quality in few years.

Stevewarren

For now they are still growing revenue year on year even with the Premium exodus, don't remember about profits there's an article on this site about it. I'm willing to bet profit margins on Compact and Compact + is pretty high also. They'll just keep increasing the prices of all their other bouquets to make up for the shortfall for the near future
Yup revenues going up but profit ain't.
As you say they will have to keep increasing the price of the lower tiers and hopefully add some more premier content at the same time otherwise that will backfire too.

In fact I'm highly sceptical that they make much profit on compact plus, they must pay a pretty penny for all the premiere league games.

Duchalvw

DSTV is overpriced and it has been a real "repeat machine" for years.

Lets do a comparison of cost between DSTV and the combination I'm using at my residence.

In the area where I live, fibre is not yet available, but there is an ISP that supplies wireless data which operates completely independent from copper (aka Telkom), the ISP is WIRUlink.

DSTV Premium = R809pm

WIRUlink 5Mpbs Uncapped data line + Netflix Premium = R681pm
The data prices will be vary in different areas.

So why would anybody still have DSTV?

lived666

Executive Member

EADC

Expert Member
DSTV is overpriced and it has been a real "repeat machine" for years.

Lets do a comparison of cost between DSTV and the combination I'm using at my residence.

In the area where I live, fibre is not yet available, but there is an ISP that supplies wireless data which operates completely independent from copper (aka Telkom), the ISP is WIRUlink.

DSTV Premium = R809pm

WIRUlink 5Mpbs Uncapped data line + Netflix Premium = R681pm
The data prices will be vary in different areas.

So why would anybody still have DSTV?
Netflix has no HBO or sport that's just two reasons

hungrymamba

We din't expect he'd do that... Wow, the originality is astounding. Honestly who gives a .... what this thing does? He's a nonentity.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Well you could recycle the hard drive and then keep the remainder on your passenger seat and when someone does something stupid in traffic, chuck it at them, good use if you ask me.
Ha Ha, this is something I would really do. Please can people give me their old decoders.

"You drive like a D00s, here is a D00s decoder for someone like you" - Throw the decoder in hopes of doing damage

Spizz

Goat Botherer

lkswan747

Why did I not get the coverage that this idiot gets! I disconnected my decoders, stored them and subscribed to an IPTV service over a year ago. What is the big fuss? He obviously needs some other source of income now.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member

scizzer

Forgetting the reasons for this, I fully support leaving DSTV, they are no longer relevant to customers needs, only to their own which has resulted in an expensive and poor offering.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Sure , one example, for under R150 a month, over 260 channels, 12 sport dedicated channels including every cricket you can think of, English premier league, USA basketball, golf, tennis and other weird sports.

http://cleartv.com.np/packages.php
http://cleartv.com.np/channel.php

All this for under R150 a month so yeah, tell me again how DSTV is soo great for almost 1k a month.
F1. Indycar. Motogp. Wwe. Olympics. All the Sport world cups. Champions league and many more i cant recall off hand? Bitch please