DStv censorship fight over "double standards"

ekske1

Executive Member
If you know about this whole stuff up and still pay your R899 a month like a good consumer then you endorse Multichoice's behavior.
Like paying tax and therefore endorsing the looting and corruption of the ANC government?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Nicktoons

Loud House, The Legend of the Korra, Hey Arnold, Clarance, Steven Universe and Adventure Time

To add Kenya Films and Classifications Board banned the shows, MC & the channels complied with the homophobia. Yes they were compelled by kfcb to do so but at the same time giving a corporate spin of respecting cultures blah blah blah. So they respect a culture of homophobia but can do nothing about a local black racist...
That was Disney capitulating to Kenya's, and also Nairobi's (I think) demands. Last I heard Disney only had one feed to Africa so once they acquiesced, those shows, and others like Andi Mack, were off the air throughout Africa. Multichoice didn't pull anything.

ponder

Honorary Master
That was Disney capitulating to Kenya's, and also Nairobi's (I think) demands. Last I heard Disney only had one feed to Africa so once they acquiesced, those shows, and others like Andi Mack, were off the air throughout Africa. Multichoice didn't pull anything.
Disney? I just did a bit of google on those channels and Disney does not feature, Viacom & WarnerMedia popped up. They're still 3rd party channels on mc, mc was approached by kfcb and they in turned referred to the channels. So mc as the distributor exercised influence over the provider.

Swa

Honorary Master
Disney? I just did a bit of google on those channels and Disney does not feature, Viacom & WarnerMedia popped up. They're still 3rd party channels on mc, mc was approached by kfcb and they in turned referred to the channels. So mc as the distributor exercised influence over the provider.
MC didn't have much choice as the provider scrapped it and they don't have multiple feeds.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Fair enough. Disney, Nick, Cartoon Network all had shows banned by Kenya and opted to remove their respective shows from Africa. I didn’t see any mention of Multichoice exercising influence.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Fair enough. Disney, Nick, Cartoon Network all had shows banned by Kenya and opted to remove their respective shows from Africa. I didn’t see any mention of Multichoice exercising influence.
For me, it was how Multichoice responded:

https://www.businessghana.com/site/...7770/MultiChoice-statement-on-kids-programmes

Multichoice takes pride in ensuring that we comply with the law in all Jurisdictions that we operate in and are mindful that culture is the foundation of the nation as family values underpin the society.

In tandem with our internal quality control measures, we also ensure all third party suppliers are adequately briefed on country specific regulatory requirements and provisions. MultiChoice has therefore contacted the Channel Suppliers on the various recent complaints made against the Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Nicktoons channels with regards to their programming and wish to clarify as below:
Doesn't that apply 'equally' to all content providers? The internal quality control measures are what it is a control mechanism, and isn't this statement,

We welcome a society where freedom of speech is celebrated, however we take a stand against racism,” said MultiChoice Group Executive Corporate Affairs, Joe Heshu.
a worded quality control measure? From my perspective, Multichoice selectively applied the quality control measure within their political policy. Is that the pride they take in ensuring that they comply with the law in our Jurisdiction in which they operate, no.

An organisation made a complaint against Multichoice/DStv and they ignorantly stated that they have no control over third-party suppliers.

I mean,

http://kfcb.co.ke/kfcb-meets-multi-choice-management-over-content-regulator/

Multichoice has given a commitment to ensure that homosexual content does not air in Kenya.
they should be committed to anti-racism, expressed in our society. I'm not talking about television, Ntsiki Mazwai expressed her public opinion, and Multichoice should have engaged with said third-party supplier, instead, they stated,

https://www.timeslive.co.za/tshisa-...ack-at-afriforums-call-to-fire-ntsiki-mazwai/

Speaking to TshisaLIVE, MultiChoice group executive for corporate affairs Joe Heshu said Ntsiki appeared on a third-party channel and they therefore had "absolutely no editorial control" over her appointment.

"There is a fundamental difference between people who appear on third-party channels, where we have absolutely no editorial control, and people who we employ, sponsor, associate directly with and appear on the DStv channels that are owned by MultiChoice Group, such as the M-Net, kykNET and SuperSport, where we would exercise control and ultimate accountability," said Heshu.

"The person you are referring, Ntsiki Mazwai, appeared on third-party channel Moja Love and is not a presenter on any DStv-owned channels," said Heshu.

"Members of the public are however able to raise any complaint around content they find disagreeable directly with the Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa (BCCSA)," he added.
though they are very right to state that the public must engage with the BCCSA on the matter, but it should have been better to acknowledge that they would engage with their third-party supplier to 'early' resolve the issue. They were very involved with the KFCB in regard to homophobia which is understandable in regard to the applicable Jurisdiction, but not so much in regard to human rights (and expression)

Multichoice is carrying the third-party channel where terms and non-disclosures apply,

https://mg.co.za/article/2019-02-01-00-whats-the-deal-with-moja-love

Setai says the lack of ads is not deliberate. The channel is approaching its second year and is yet to attract advertisers who believe it has a loyal audience.

As a third-party channel not owned by MultiChoice, Moja Love gets carrier fees that enable it to stay afloat.
and ba dum tsh,

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2018/02/04/multichoice-dedicates-a-channel-to-love_a_23352321

"For us at MultiChoice, it's important to offer our customers a range of different entertainment options and to provide a platform for local stories to be heard," said Yolisa Phahle, CEO for General Entertainment at MultiChoice.

Where did they ban Steve, again?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Is Multichoice expected to control the content on independently owned channels?
They gave the Ghoemas an ultimatum so I'm sure they can give these independent channels an ultimatum or remove them from the bouquet.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Before long, all that DStv will be able to show in SA is a picture of a daisy, slowly waving in the breeze. Like in the 19-ancients.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Let me put it this way, Multichoice stated,

https://www.channel24.co.za/TV/News...teve-hofmeyr-on-any-of-its-platforms-20190430

"The MultiChoice Group will in future not carry content that includes Steve Hofmeyr on any of its platforms," the company told Channel24.
compared to,

https://www.timeslive.co.za/tshisa-...ack-at-afriforums-call-to-fire-ntsiki-mazwai/

Speaking to TshisaLIVE, MultiChoice group executive for corporate affairs Joe Heshu said Ntsiki appeared on a third-party channel and they therefore had "absolutely no editorial control" over her appointment.
when it is actually said,

Speaking to TshisaLIVE, MultiChoice group executive for corporate affairs Joe Heshu said Ntsiki appeared on its platform and they therefore had "absolutely no editorial control" over her appointment.

which is a double standard.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The Ntsiki issue would have most likely been a none issue didn’t Multichoice ban Steve. Yes, pedantic. Ntsiki, however, gained in popularity.

I don’t know what is happening at Multichoice, next up they agree with the SAHRC on the Ashwin Willemse case. Those submissions made by Multichoice employees will make then turn into the Multichoice submission. The SAHRC is taking rather long to announce the inquiry date because it is now what, close to 2 months past due since the original date? Maybe they aren't receiving the many submissions they hoped to receive...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
OT:

https://www.timeslive.co.za/tshisa-...on-over-jub-jubs-comments-about-xhosa-people/

BLF threatens Moja Love with legal action over Jub Jub's comments about Xhosa people
Black First Land First (BLF) president Andile Mngxitama has demanded that Uyajola host Molemo "Jub Jub" Maarohanye publicly apologise for his comments about Xhosa people or face a visit to the equality court.

Jub Jub sparked outrage last month when a promotional video clip of him talking about Xhosa people went viral. In the video Jub Jub said he had "never seen a nation that is so promiscuous like the Xhosas".

"I have never seen as well a loving nation like the Xhosas. I have never seen a nation that forgives like the Xhosas. I have never seen a nation with attitude like Xhosas and I have never seen a stubborn nation like the Xhosas. In a nutshell, the nation is just too much," he added.

Andile told TshisaLIVE that he came across the video and was outraged by Jub Jub's comments.

"He needs to understand why what he said was wrong. I was hearing what this guy was saying and I was shocked that such comments would be allowed. You can't condemn a whole group of people in the manner that he did.

"He said that they are promiscuous and stubborn. That is not permitted. You cannot say this about black people. He tried to cancel his premeditated insults by saying that Xhosa people are nice... No. It is not on. This is tribalism and anti-black."

Andile said BLF would send Jub Jub and Moja Love, the channel which airs Uyajola, a letter demanding a public apology for the comments.

The party also demanded that Jub Jub undergo lessons in black consciousness.

If their demands are not met in five days, Andile said the party plans to take Moja Love to the equality court.

"The problem is that Moja Love is allowing Jub Jub to make these comments. We are targeting the company to correct Jub Jub's behaviour."

Attempts by TshisaLIVE to get comment from both Jub Jub and Moja Love was not successful by the time of publishing.
Andile made the right decision to address the channel directly than to address Multichoice on the matter which would have also pointed him to the BCCSA. Andile, double-standards... Why is the FXI supporting them in court again?

Sl8er

Executive Member