DStv channels and prices comparison

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

MultiChoice offers DStv customers a number of bouquets, each of which has its own selection of channels and perks.

For example, DStv Compact is priced at R399 per month and offers viewers 118 channels, while DStv Premium offers 150 channels and is priced at R809 per month.

RIP off and a a waste of time.
Channels are kak and overpriced. Most of the channels nobody watches anyway

Wake me when you can subscribe per channel on a streaming service. Better yet, give me a prepaid option where I only pay if I stream something.

With the amount of repeats on DStv why would any one want to pay the PVR access fee?

MultiChoice offers DStv customers a number of bouquets, each of which has its own selection of channels and perks.

For example, DStv Compact is priced at R399 per month and offers viewers 118 channels, while DStv Premium offers 150 channels and is priced at R809 per month.
It's almost like you don't know your audience.

With the amount of repeats on DStv why would any one want to pay the PVR access fee?

F1 for instance....the race in on a Sunday....it gets repeated on a weekday at 10am.....who is at home to watch it?

Expect more repeat articles in the coming days.

The cost per CH is a meaningless number. The real cost per CH should be the price divided by the no of channels actually watched on average.
In my case, the average number of channels watched is 5. And that number has stayed the same, regardless of the package. Note that is only that high because of the PVR facilities available on the decoders. If I exclude all recorded material for later viewing, then the average number of channels watched drops to 2.
So the cost to me now is about R 6 per channel. Compared what it would have been for premium at R 161.80 per channel. And for linear TV, the costs are then R15 per channel now and on Premium it would be about R 405 per channel.
No way that is a value proposition

Last edited:
Also including most of the rubbish channels in the count is pretty useless to people who want quality.

On CP+ here we only really watch the news and the BBC channel as there is nothing else interesting to watch which isn't repeated or old reruns from ancient days.

FFS. Enough of this D$TV **** on MyBB. Tsek!
Cant you guys see your pissing off your readers?

Also including most of the rubbish channels in the count is pretty useless to people who want quality.

On CP+ here we only really watch the news and the BBC channel as there is nothing else interesting to watch which isn't repeated or old reruns from ancient days.
The only stuff worth watching is that made for TV more than 20 years ago. The modern "stuff" is mostly, total rubbish. So, we are actually after the reruns. There just isn't sufficient new material worth watching being generated worldwide to fill up the channels 24/7.

The new Curiositystream channel is a terrible implementation of this excellent streaming service. As good as the online streaming service is, as bad as the satellite channel is. Rather just pay the R290 per annum (R150 on Black Friday month) to watch what you want.

The only stuff worth watching is that made for TV more than 20 years ago. The modern "stuff" is mostly, total rubbish. So, we are actually after the reruns. There just isn't sufficient new material worth watching being generated worldwide to fill up the channels 24/7.
Geoff, now you are showing your age. There are loads of stuff that you can watch and unless you watch TV 24 hours a day, you are guaranteed to find something new and interesting for 3 or 4 hours a day provided you are prepared to use that little channel up and down button.

Only the lazy or those who have not seen DSTV in the last 5 years, can complain there is not enough new content. The rest of us find something interesting and new every day.

The new Curiositystream channel is a terrible implementation of this excellent streaming service. As good as the online streaming service is, as bad as the satellite channel is. Rather just pay the R290 per annum (R150 on Black Friday month) to watch what you want.
What do you mean? Surely the satellite channel just streams the content available but you don't have the facility to select when and what without a PVR?
Geoff, now you are showing your age. There are loads of stuff that you can watch and unless you watch TV 24 hours a day, you are guaranteed to find something new and interesting for 3 or 4 hours a day provided you are prepared to use that little channel up and down button.

Only the lazy or those who have not seen DSTV in the last 5 years, can complain there is not enough new content. The rest of us find something interesting and new every day.
Heh heh! Maybe maybe not. Not prepared to pay to find out.
We watch about 2 hours in the mornings and 4 hours in the evenings 3 times a week. The wife watches her soapies everyday.
There are very few really interesting programs available at the times when we watch, hence most of what we watch is recorded.

Agreed, the SO and myself watch new programs EVERY day.

Just a bunch of haters here.

Back