DStv Decoder issue

Toxxyc

Executive Member
So, long story short.

Grandma wants to listen to a radio channel. Radio channel isn't receiving on radio devices. We bought a TV and decoder, got it installed, and the channel on there works for her, she can listen to what she wants.

Worthy mention: Grandma is blind. She doesn't know how to and cannot learn how to operate the remote controls. It took a few days just to get her familiar with the remote so she can turn the TV on and off.

Problem: For some reason, when the TV is switched off, every day or two the decoder would be "tuned out" and her radio station would be gone. Someone has to go there and turn everything back on and tune back to her station. Why does the decoder do this? Why does it not just stick to the channel we set it on, and how can I make it stay on that channel?

The best I can think of is a universal remote that can handle a startup macro or maybe a wifi linked IR remote that you could control over the internet.

But I don't get it. I used to have the DStv thing and the decoder would always stick to the channel I picked whenever last I used it. Why would that one not stick to that specific channel?

But I don't get it. I used to have the DStv thing and the decoder would always stick to the channel I picked whenever last I used it. Why would that one not stick to that specific channel?
You are lucky your decoder used to work.

When we had DSTV waaay back in the day the stupid decoder would usually give an error message when we wanted to watch something which then required a reboot to clear.
Did this at 2 separate locations so it wasn't the dish/receiver/cabling.

My father-in-law still has DSTV and every few days he complains about his PVR not recording something / getting stuck / some channel not showing so me thinks the hardware they peddle is still the same crap as years ago.

every day or two the decoder would be "tuned out" and her radio station would be gone.
Haven't had dstv in years but remember there being a setting for the daily maintenance time (think was a default early morning time). iirc this involved a reboot but it would always restart on the "TV" option - not radio/audio bouquet.

maybe also look into whether the decoder has a "favourites channels" option and see if it possible to program only that one specific radio station as the only favourite.

So, long story short.

Grandma wants to listen to a radio channel. Radio channel isn't receiving on radio devices. We bought a TV and decoder, got it installed, and the channel on there works for her, she can listen to what she wants.

Worthy mention: Grandma is blind. She doesn't know how to and cannot learn how to operate the remote controls. It took a few days just to get her familiar with the remote so she can turn the TV on and off.

Problem: For some reason, when the TV is switched off, every day or two the decoder would be "tuned out" and her radio station would be gone. Someone has to go there and turn everything back on and tune back to her station. Why does the decoder do this? Why does it not just stick to the channel we set it on, and how can I make it stay on that channel?
Sounds like a faulty decoder. It by defaults reboots every morning for software updates, but should go back to its default settings, and the channel it was on previously.
I had the same issue with one of my decoders, I ended up disabling the auto update and reboot, so it stays on

Is it a broadcast radio station that is local, from another province, or from another country that she is listening to, that a conventional multi-band portable radio tuner cannot receive?

1713350130095.png

It's a local station that receives on my car, but refuses to receive on any other device.

@LandyMan how does one disable the auto-reboot on the decoder?

Just tune into any FM radio channel and tell Grandma she has been listening to the wrong channel for years

Also - what is the FM / AM frequency displayed on your car radio display?

Out of curiosity what radio station is Granny listening to?
Pretoria FM. It doesn't receive properly here in Modimolle. She moved here from Pretoria about 2 weeks ago, and since she's a blind widow, the station is all she listens to all day long.

Also - what is the FM / AM frequency displayed on your car radio display?
I believe it receives on its base station - 104.2. The other advertised frequencies on their site isn't working. I've exhausted those options, hence the decoder and DStv radio.

Have you considered using an Android streaming box with the Pretoria FM app installed on it, with a reasonable mobile data plan & a LTE router, as a viable option instead?

Have a look at the settings on the DSTV decoder. By default, it reboots at 4am every morning and then defaults to channel 100.

Pretoria FM is on channel 887. Isn't there some way you can "mark" the 8 and 7 buttons on the remote to make it easier for her to find and press those buttons? Like scratches around the buttons or tiny toothpick holes or bumps on the buttons she can feel or something?

That's what I would do if I had a blind relative :)

Plenty streaming sites if you can setup something for her to just play the radio 24/7

Back