DStv decoders and their unused Ethernet ports

Ryansr

Expert Member
This is a steady trend in SA

I believe an electronics industry control body in SA should try and defend the side of the consumer where Multichoice keeps doing this and sells an incomplete product to us and never gets to "fix" the incomplete part either.

Should it maybe be taken up with ICASA? :confused:

HammerDown

Expert Member
They are screwing you because they can, and every month people pay them for the privilege to get screwed.....welcome to the church of MultiChoice.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
It will soon be possible to connect your DStv Explora decoder to the Internet using an Ethernet-connected Wi-Fi dongle, but not a normal Ethernet cable plugged into a router or modem of some kind, MultiChoice has indicated.
So in other words a proprietary device, basically what the walka or drifta is using.

MultiChoice was asked what the Wi-Fi dongle will offer that a direct Ethernet connection will not.
Proprietary connection that they can control...

kianm

Honorary Master
i really don't like this company called monochoice. Greedy control freaks

Pitbull

Verboten
They losing lots of clients as of late to other services. They are getting desperate. I like :D

FlashSA

Executive Member
So glad I managed to get my company to take over my DSTV premium's as part of this year's increase. Would BURN me having to pay 1 cent to these okes....

Only reason I still have it in my home is for my wife who insists on it and an hour of Carte Blanche for me on a Sunday....

Spontaneous Interruption

If they could somehow SELL you a working Ethernet port they would but they can't so they're just settling on selling you a WiFi dongle.

EDIT: The table in the article has a slight error - the USB ports are only unused when you don't have your mobile plugged into it to charge.

ponder

Honorary Master
This bundling/lockin of the receiver/decoder must stop. One should be able to use any receiver/decoder to view whatever available satellite content there is.

FlashSA

Executive Member
If they could somehow SELL you a working Ethernet port they would but they can't so they're just settling on selling you a WiFi dongle.
They cynic in me says that Multichoice made sure the ethernet port in their decoders was not wired up so that they could sell the wifi dongle to clients and make even more money!

Why didn't they leave the ethernet wired to the board and just disable it deep down in the firmware?

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
They cynic in me says that Multichoice made sure the ethernet port in their decoders was not wired up so that they could sell the wifi dongle to clients and make even more money!

Why didn't they leave the ethernet wired to the board and just disable it deep down in the firmware?
Maybe i read it wrong but I think the article said it will be a ethernet connected wifi dongle, meaning the ethernet port is wired?

FlashSA

Executive Member
Oh. My bad. Then in that case WTF is wrong with them and why can't we just use wired ethernet?!

McGuywer

Executive Member
The SD PVR has 3 tuners and not 2 as per article

Source:
The SD PVR's hardware is actually the problem here. It has 2 inputs, but 3 tuners (2 viewing and 1 record) and for this reason it has an internal multiswitch. Single LNB setup will cause endless problems. Get that second feed into the decoder.

McT

The Humble Scot!
I believe an electronics industry control body in SA should try and defend the side of the consumer where Multichoice keeps doing this and sells an incomplete product to us and never gets to "fix" the incomplete part either.

Should it maybe be taken up with ICASA? :confused:
No chance. They're no better than a toothless lapdog**

**sincere apologies to toothless lapdogs; no disrespect intended.

Cicero

Expert Member
There are a lot of potential issues that could have caused them to leave off the wired Ethernet. It could be that they just wanted to charge for a wifi dongle, but I doubt that to be honest. It also could be that they ran out of time to fully test it for that purpose, and had to launch without it enabled. This affects the EMC testing and approvals which could be the reason why they can't allow it to be used as well. My guess is that its a more technical issue than a straight up business decision.

Rabobi

Executive Member
There are a lot of potential issues that could have caused them to leave off the wired Ethernet. It could be that they just wanted to charge for a wifi dongle, but I doubt that to be honest. It also could be that they ran out of time to fully test it for that purpose, and had to launch without it enabled. This affects the EMC testing and approvals which could be the reason why they can't allow it to be used as well. My guess is that its a more technical issue than a straight up business decision.
cool-story-bro-pl-ffffff-14.jpg