DStv Explora to get Netflix and Amazon Prime Video

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member

MultiChoice has signed a deal with Netflix and Amazon to bring the streaming services operated by these companies to its Explora decoder.

The company referred to this transaction in its annual results for the year ended 31 March 2020.

In the South African division of its annual results presentation, MultiChoice group referred to a number of initiatives that it had implemented to improve retention in the country.

RuhanSA079

Nee man... DSTV is amper bokveld toe, now you want to try and save your half-dead satellite service, with Netflix and Amazon??
I have enough devices that can do the Netflix and Amazon thing. Or just get a Android TV device, and be done with it.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member

MultiChoice has signed a deal with Netflix and Amazon to bring the streaming services operated by these companies to its Explora decoder.

The company referred to this transaction in its annual results for the year ended 31 March 2020.

In the South African division of its annual results presentation, MultiChoice group referred to a number of initiatives that it had implemented to improve retention in the country.
It's getting desperate up in the wakanda palace :ROFL:

Wag

Expert Member
Always a good strategy, if you start losing the fight, work with the enemy to delay defeat as long as possible.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Would a subscription to Netflix and Prime be required, or is it included?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah no.... I had Showmax on my Explora and it was crap in the extreme... made a rubbish system (Showmax) even MORE rubbish....

It was also slow as all hell to navigate which was just frustrating.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
As much as I refuse to pay those hellishly expensive monochoice subscriptions, I have to ask, aren't there people out there that can benefit from this? Presumably one can always get a good/high quality/stable link to the satellite, but one cannot always get a good high bandwidth internet connection. Not everyone can get fibre and/or good LTE reception. Or am I wrong?

But then there is also the question of whether of they have the required bandwidth to stream at 1080p/4k - I have no idea about the bandwidth capability of the dishes.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
As much as I refuse to pay those hellishly expensive monochoice subscriptions, I have to ask, aren't there people out there that can benefit from this? Presumably one can always get a good/high quality/stable link to the satellite, but one cannot always get a good high bandwidth internet connection. Not everyone can get fibre and/or good LTE reception. Or am I wrong?

But then there is also the question of whether of they have the required bandwidth to stream at 1080p/4k - I have no idea about the bandwidth capability of the dishes.
You need to connect the Explora to the internet via the Wi-Fi adapter or Ethernet, it doesn't work over the dish connection.

Matt91

Expert Member

I'd like to know that too, wonder what the max quality is that can get beamed through a dish - is it capable of more than 1080? :unsure: