DStv Flex - is it what you've been waiting for?

Are you impressed by the planned DSTV Flex package?

• Yes - it's just what I've been waiting for

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • It needs tweaking before I'll subscribe

Votes: 40 16.8%
  • Unimpressed

Votes: 164 68.9%
  • Other

Votes: 15 6.3%

• Total voters

Chunk20

Expert Member
Probably away for too long, the content value has dropped significantly. Some of that due to Hollyweird, but MC are not playing the game.

You know everyone pretty much consumes the same content right.

Brian_G

Executive Member
You know everyone pretty much consumes the same content right.
No. Shared social interests have influence, little else these days, it's become a massive market.

DStv has thinned things out too far, some of the excuse is world covid results but that isn't enough to justify much of what they're doing.
A more recent main issue is a drive for lots of local (including elsewhere in Africa) content, which isn't too popular despite their hype. Politically driven, cost will be a factor too, and SABC's disastrous outcome with that (loss of 50% of audience) isn't stopping them.

Chunk20

Expert Member
No. Shared social interests have influence, little else these days, it's become a massive market.

DStv has thinned things out too far, some of the excuse is world covid results but that isn't enough to justify much of what they're doing.
A more recent main issue is a drive for lots of local (including elsewhere in Africa) content, which isn't too popular despite their hype
. Politically driven, cost will be a factor too, and SABC's disasterous outcome with that (loss of 50% of audience) isn't stopping them.

You might want to recheck that statement, local and African continent seems to be very popular when you look at the viewer numbers it might not be popular on MyBB but this forum is not the target market so you view is skewed.

superlekkerza

Not everywhere is vastly superior, I know people have this idea that everything in SA is **** and the minute you leave everything is great.

Yes there are better choices but there are also absolute ****.

Typical SA mentality haha

Brian_G

Executive Member
You might want to recheck that statement, local and African continent seems to be very popular when you look at the viewer numbers it might not be popular on MyBB but this forum is not the target market so you view is skewed.
And your recent source, being out of Africa?
It's a fact that local is not lekker enough, you did see the figures I gave re SABC's losses?

When it was balanced it did well enough, I know. Even African Magic channels as we found out... you see, I was a senior member of the DStv forum until they "suspended" it so I do have a clue.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Actually you don't even need a dish

A bit tricky to use a streaming service if you only have ultra slow mobile data, as many farmers do. It's hugely better value to get the satellite option anyway because it's hardly any more expensive and you get a streaming account thrown in. So you can go halvies with a family member or friend, and each party gets their preference for how to watch.

I have a PS5 for Netflix and other apps. F1 TV supporting neither my PS5 nor my Samsung Smart TV is an inconvenience.
Sure, but their support is still excellent. And your TV should have cast support built-in. The 65" Samsung QLED in my lounge connects to my Android phone out the box without any special configuration.

Not everywhere is vastly superior, I know people have this idea that everything in SA is **** and the minute you leave everything is great.

Yes there are better choices but there are also absolute ****.
Everything in SA isn't ****, and I don't think too many people hold that notion. It's government ineptitude and out of control violent crime that is the problem. But I'm not sure how DStv of all things is a stand-out feature down here. My friends/family in Canada, Scotland, Australia and NZ have much better TV and streaming services than what we have access to (before resorting to smart DNS services). Where did you move to?

tcofran

Expert Member
Mods are unpaid volunteers and have been since the beginning. While rpm et al regularly ask their own questions any thread I start, including these polls, are 100% mine.

FWIW I've never been shy about voicing my opinion when it comes to DSTV - I'm not a fan.
mmm

Dan C

Honorary Master
How much does Sky Sports cost? Sky Sports starts at £18 per month but that's as a bolt on where you need other subscriptions to qualify, so in reality it'll cost you at least £41 per month.

R823,82

BBSA

Honorary Master
How much does Sky Sports cost? Sky Sports starts at £18 per month but that's as a bolt on where you need other subscriptions to qualify, so in reality it'll cost you at least £41 per month.

R823,82
Sure, but you also earn about double if you work the UK.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
The Russian streaming sites often do have their sport online. The paid version is much better due to no ads, streaming quality etc but if they become more mainstream, it will cause DSTV trouble.

Brian_G

Executive Member
The Russian streaming sites often do have their sport online. The paid version is much better due to no ads, streaming quality etc but if they become more mainstream, it will cause DSTV trouble.
How varied is it, there's a lot of stuff on SuperSport?

jennychurch

Are you impressed by the planned DSTV Flex package? Is it what you've been waiting for or is it a case of too little and/or too late? What would you change?

View attachment 1148582
The reason i still subscribe to Dstv premium is for the news channels and history channel. So i want to see a package that offers news, documentary and latest movies channel. Not interested in the entertainment lineup due to poor content.

zoozi

Expert Member
Load of crap. Not worth it. Hell, their streaming doesn't even work properly. Pixilation on a 50Mbps fibre line and dropped connections? Pfft...no such issues with Netflix, Britbox or even YouTube.
I love it when there's a rugby game or the F1 on Sunday and the quality looks like 480p on 1080p setting. How it's possible to **** up the load to a restricted service in South Africa in 2021 I don't know. And they pushing their online-only package while this still happens?