DStv Flex - MultiChoice's plan for a configurable DStv Premium service

Brian_G

Executive Member
...and their streaming service they were releasing to much (or less!) fanfare? Did they forget about that, or is their current streaming service (pixilation on a 50Mbps fibre line and all) it?
That's just the same current packages being done on streaming instead of satellite feed.

This new idea is largely now lipstick on a pig. But non-soccer sport would now cost a bit less, and some cheaper of-value entertainment now possible.

Last edited:

superlekkerza

Big changes planned for DStv Premium — including choosing your own channels

South African pay-TV broadcaster MultiChoice is testing a cheaper DStv Premium subscription which will unbundle its sports and premium movie channels from the rest of the package, TV journalist Thinus Ferreira has reported.

MultiChoice is currently gauging interest in a new DStv Flex option that will see subscribers paying a compulsory R299 per month for an Entertainment Pack, including 67 DStv Premium channels.

No thanks

Purpose

I've been a Premium subscriber since its inception.
They have not asked my views.
Still very expensive.
Smoke & Mirrors

Brian_G

Executive Member
Why would you choose piecemeal if you what everything?
Actually less than everything - the base module isn't all the other channels either.

Only thing I like here is that there's been some slight giving in with their non-soccer sport, but a long way to go...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Actually less than everything - the base module isn't all the other channels either.

Only thing I like here is that there's been some slight giving in with their non-soccer sport, but a long way to go...
This service is what many non sports addicts, including me, have been asking for.

Brian_G

Executive Member
This service is what many non sports addicts, including me, have been asking for.
Fair enough. I think the main attraction could be M-Net included, in my case less and less impressed with its offering although I believe largely due to Hollyweird changes.

craigcul

I like all the DSTV channels except the sports. Is there an option that has all the channels except sports and includes Showmax?

Martin 007

Reading the comments is the fun part and I knew what I was going to get. Lots of anger, too little too late and it still cost two much. Sadly DSTV is stone deaf and will get run over without any tears. I can't believe the guys at DSTV are still sleeping.

Brian_G

Executive Member
I like all the DSTV channels except the sports. Is there an option that has all the channels except sports and includes Showmax?
No. But look at the base module in post #2, may be enough given the cost saving?
Does also include NatGeo, Discovery, History, Food channel, other movie channels...

Not (yet) available though. I think it is already in Namibia but stand to be corrected.

Vorastra

Executive Member
So . . . people have been asking this for years already and they said "No! We cannot do this! Are you crazy? GTFO here!"

Now suddenly its an option? What changed?
Aggressive fibre rollout nationwide this last year methinks.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
That's just the same current packages being done on streaming instead of satellite feed.

This new idea is largely now lipstick on a pig. But non-soccer sport would now cost a bit less, and some cheaper of-value entertainment now possible.
Yeah well, they've had that for years. Why try package it as something else? I've been using a family member's DSTV Premium to account to stream since at least 2017.
Here they're going on about how they're going to compete with Amazon Prime, Netflix etc with a new package. Without doing anything about it really. Just carrying on.
If mediocre had an award they'd win it every year.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
According to Ferreira, MultiChoice has asked former DStv Premium subscribers whether they feel that DStv Flex and the optional packages make an attractive offering.

they did :unsure:

Brian_G

Executive Member
Back to sport.

1. Rugby
2. Cricket
3. Golf
4. Tennis
5. Motorsport
6a-d. Variety 1-4
7. Action
8. ESPN 2
@ extra R349 pm

Nope. Rather;
Choice of 1 or 2
Two of 3, 4 and 5
Don't need the 6's or 7 or 8
For that may pay extra R225, if 1 AND 2 then maybe worth R275.

Yes?