DStv Flex - MultiChoice's plan for a configurable DStv Premium service

Brian_G

Executive Member
There's a surprising number of people still using them in some form or another, even on this "beyond that" forum ;) - our DStv tech complaints thread has nearly a hundred voters.

But this latest idea isn't doing them any favours if it's true most are into the sport.

Speedster

Honorary Master
There's a surprising number of people still using them in some form or another, even on this "beyond that" forum ;) - our DStv tech complaints thread has nearly a hundred voters.

But this latest idea isn't doing them any favours if it's true most are into the sport.
It'd be interesting to know how many people stay for the entertaiment channels, and how many for the sport. My suspicion would be that techy people who are only there for entertainment (series / movies) have switched to a streaming service while those interested in sport have stayed.

Last edited:

Brian_G

Executive Member
It'd be interesting to know how many people stay for the entertaiment channels, and how many for the sport. My suspicion would be that techy people who are only there for entertainment (series / movies) have switched to a streaming netflix while those interested in sport have stayed.
I think you're closer to the facts than not. It stands to reason that sport must still be the main attraction as they themselves have said it's the main reason for their survival.

Anonymous 123456

R300 for the base entertainment package is way over priced, considering that Netflix is R165 for 4K, Amazon Prime is around R89 and Disney+ will launch at under R150.

The market based price for the base package should be around R150.

Looks like MultiChoice are soon not going to be able to afford to overpay for sports packages so they can get exclusive broadcast rights
Yes, and exclusive rights and rights to broadcast before the US premieres are what's keeping DStv valuable. If they really want to afford those rights especially for sports they need to switch to streaming cause that's what most people are attracted to noessays. If they made all their entertainment content from all their channels exclusive to Showmax plus all the sports, news, music, mnet and free to air channels exclusive to Showmax Pro

Slegdehammer67

You priced yourselves out of the market - clearly, you have no clue about economics principle 101, and it goes something like this:

'Demand and supply determine the price'...if you then artificially hold your price high, good fcucking luck...

Joseph matane

If it was my call i
Could be saying just upgrade Showmax Pro content to offer Sport Pack 1 content and keep price the same this will offer more innovation that add-on decoder model which is still expensive

cr@zydude

Executive Member
That R299 is not too bad. But, then you have to add the R110 access fee to make DSTV usable, so no thanks.

Don't forget to add another R100 on to watch in the other room.

From what I remember, the access fee covers running multiple decoders and recording.

If you use DStv Now, you don't need to pay the access fee at all.

Brian_G

Executive Member
From what I remember, the access fee covers running multiple decoders and recording.
The fee includes use of PVR and a second decoder if wanted. For a third (where decoders involved are technically possible) there's a second access fee too.

True. Still needed for equivalent decoder catch up access though.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
So basically, you might as well just take the existing premium package.

Its a pretty sneaky move this by Multichoice, because plenty of people will be fooled by this.

If those sport packages were standalone, without the R299 option, then maybe its okay. But, add up all those, and its just premium.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I think in the short term this might work while it's novelty like only sign up for Rugby during the tournaments and then cancel it afterwards... but then.... how many people would remember to sign up in time and once they realise they forgot, they might not even be bothered for the foreseeable future.

As I know DSTV, they will probably make it really easy to sign up for the sports and really difficult to cancel the extras.

Charlesjjm

Yes, but with DSTV Now you are still stuck on watching it when it is 'broadcasted'. It is not like Netflix where I can watch at a time that suits me.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Yes, but with DSTV Now you are still stuck on watching it when it is 'broadcasted'. It is not like Netflix where I can watch at a time that suits me.

DStv Now has a catch up service where you can watch episodes at any time after their broadcast.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
what if you want to watch last last week episode, or the f1 race you missed?

From what I remember, they kept all released episodes of the current season up to watch.

I don't remember watching sport after the fact, not sure how that works.