DStv launches new HD PVR

DJ...

Banned
Well now that is certainly good news to hear....

It would be nice to get some decent software on those decoders because they are capable of being pretty damn good.

I was told not to expect any major software changes but rather major software stability updates. Seems they have their priorities right for a change...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Hey more stability is decent software in my books..

Yes I would like a much slicker interface (akin to the Sky one) but baby steps for MC... they aren't the fastest around in terms of change.

zamicro

Expert Member
I wont buy a mc decoder again. Not again pay for something which works and then they break it with their ota updates.

Roman4604

Expert Member
Different strokes ..
I would prefer watch 1 / record 2
I don't have a TV in the bedroom - that's for other things, like sleeping
Considering the original quad tuner PVRs went for R3000, the cost to achieve both the above combinations is the same. You can buy 2 HDPVR2P/Us and XtraView them together for watch 2, record 2.

FatBoySlim

Expert Member
This one made in SA by Altech, not sure of the specifics whether made in SA means assembled. Can anyone confirm if all others were made in SA?
Heard a rumour that one of the Pace models were made in SA, the one that locks up all the time and requires a reset - just saying, local eish lekker

X-Gamer

Expert Member
Is this model "green"?
The SD-PVR and HD-PVR-P2 use about 40w each, even when in standby!

A laptop uses 12w in standby, so they are wasting at least 28w for most of the day.

There are 6.7m DSTV subscribers in ZA
If 28w wasted over 16h per day, that works out to 28w*6.7m = 113,600kw*16h = 1,656,600kwh wasted

A single PVR uses about R30 of electricity per month, of which R15 is wasted due to no standby.
R15 x 6.7m = R55m per month wasted electricity.

Eskom should force DSTV/MultiChoice/UEC to develop power efficient decoders.

That has bothered me too, a very poor design, and the irritating hum of the fans....
This really highlights how much is being wasted.

One thing though, why 16h? The PVR stays on 24/7 if I'm not mistaken. So you should scale the wasted energy by 1.5, That's 4500 MWh! (28W*24h*6.7million )

Hang on, I dont think there are 6.7million PVR's.. But some should have two for Extra view.

But the point still stands.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
One thing though, why 16h?
I think most people leave the default settings of the decoder (I know I didn't bother changing it) and by default it goes into standby after one hour of inactivity. I think he might have referred to the fact that its in standby for the time you're sleeping. Might be wrong though

X-Gamer

Expert Member
Ah, yes, i see, but I recall reading on the DStv forums that the PVR still uses like 30-40W while in standby, which is what system32 posted aswell. Hence the question of 16h, because standby time becomes irrelevant.

system32

Expert Member
16h sleep + 8h awake = 24h.
12w is a good sleep value, so 40w-12w=28w is wasted
Since the PVR does not sleep, it's wasting 16h x 28w x 6.7m users = lots of waste.
Eskom should force DSTV/MultiChoice/UEC to build a more efficient device.

28w is the same 3 x 7w LED/Energy Savers globes per house.

tRoN

Executive Member
So is the uec better than the pace in terms of stability?
Someone said the new uec has a slot for an additional 2.5 inch hard drive? True?
Not sure if there are any pace models in stores still?

DesktopZN

So is the uec better than the pace in terms of stability?
Someone said the new uec has a slot for an additional 2.5 inch hard drive? True?
Not sure if there are any pace models in stores still?

I know this thread has been quiet for a little while, but I'd like to shed a bit of light on this particular subject.

I now own both models and yes, the 2U is a horrible looking peace of equipment compared to the 2P.

Strangely, I paid less for the 2U than I paid for the 2P. R1399 as opposed to the advertised R1499. Suppose I just got a good deal.

There is no major difference between them, except that the on the 2U, the hard drive slot is accessible from the back. The slot is not for an extra drive however, but you can replace the hard drive with another (larger) hard drive. This can be done by just about anyone who knows how to hold a screwdriver in less than 5 minutes.
Both decoders come with a 750 GB hard drive, so for a small investment, you can bump up those recording hour specs with the 2U.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I know this thread has been quiet for a little while, but I'd like to shed a bit of light on this particular subject.

I now own both models and yes, the 2U is a horrible looking peace of equipment compared to the 2P.

Strangely, I paid less for the 2U than I paid for the 2P. R1399 as opposed to the advertised R1499. Suppose I just got a good deal.

There is no major difference between them, except that the on the 2U, the hard drive slot is accessible from the back. The slot is not for an extra drive however, but you can replace the hard drive with another (larger) hard drive. This can be done by just about anyone who knows how to hold a screwdriver in less than 5 minutes.
Both decoders come with a 750 GB hard drive, so for a small investment, you can bump up those recording hour specs with the 2U.

Complete codswallop... You cannot upgrade the HDD in the HDPVRs (any of them)

DJ...

Banned
Well now that is certainly good news to hear....

It would be nice to get some decent software on those decoders because they are capable of being pretty damn good.

He's here in SA at the moment working with them on some pretty cool new features. Will do some digging and find out what I can and can't post publicly...