The Voice

Honorary Master
I don't see the problem. DSTV spends MILLIONS each year to secure the broadcasting rights for the sporting events they show. If other broadcasters want to show these events, they need to cough up.

Random factoid: DSTV still shows more EPL matches than ANY broadcaster in the world. We're able to watch more live games here than in England.

digitalp

I don't see the problem. DSTV spends MILLIONS each year to secure the broadcasting rights for the sporting events they show. If other broadcasters want to show these events, they need to cough up.

Random factoid: DSTV still shows more EPL matches than ANY broadcaster in the world. We're able to watch more live games here than in England.

AlJazeera sports shows all 380 games all in HD for R190.

crackersa

Honorary Master

so your saying that monopolies are a good thing considering the price DSTV charges for it's crap and often delayed content (excluding sports)?

ajules

Expert Member
Exclusive rights to international matches featuring SA where there is a great deal of interest ie Soccer,Rugby,Cricket or big international events such as Olympics needs to be re-evaluated.
Personally thought it was BS that I couldn't watch Olympics without subscribing to DSTV.
Anything else is fair game.

crackersa

Honorary Master
Exclusive rights to international matches featuring SA where there is a great deal of interest ie Soccer,Rugby,Cricket or big international events such as Olympics needs to be re-evaluated.
Personally thought it was BS that I couldn't watch Olympics without subscribing to DSTV.
Anything else is fair game.

so true, and most of what they showed was crap.

martin

Expert Member

You do of course realise that this pretty much gives DSTV carte blanche* to continue raising prices as they see fit? I'm all for free market capitalism but that system relies on healthy competition determining the fair price for a product as opposed to entrenched monopolies.

*Pun was a happy coincidence

lexis

I wonder if there is only one sports broadcaster in e.g. England or Italy? How do they do it?

AJB

When one company gets to exploit all forms of national sport for commercial game there is a problem! I get it that they pay millions for the rights, but the problem is that they are paying those millions (properbly more than they should be paying) purposefully to exclude the competition! For once ICASA is right, no other broadcaster has a chance to get off the ground without access to that content. They should grant small broadcasters rights to that content in the same manner that they granted CellC access rights to Vodacom's network! And let's be honest Vodacom is still doing OK, just like Supersport will survive having to share … the TV consumer might just benefit like the Cellphone consumers benefitted from CellC's enterance into the market. The sooner they do this the better!

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Services go to the highest bidder.

Exactly... and who else can afford them? The SABC? They only exist because of government bailouts. Starsat? They only exist because of a Chinese bailout. Still early days, but if they cannot turn a profit in a couple of years, the Chinese will run for the hills. OVHD? Uhm, no...

wamba

since we now have multiple pay tv providers, the exclusive nature of dstv's deals for sports coverage is no longer tenable

R13...

Honorary Master
Yes but it is a chicken-and-egg situation. They can pay the highest bids because they are a monopoly not because they are the best satellite TV provider in SA.

In terms of local sports it is something of a conundrum as the sports bodies would like the money multi choice pays them which hopefully leads to good development.

Take soccer, SABC had been paying peanuts for years and delivering a very sub par product. SS have come in and provide a near world class product.