DStv Now and Showmax are bigger than Netflix in Africa - MultiChoice

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

Joseph matane

I agree this is possible judging by local content most people love series that reflects their daily environment conditions. The River is a hit across SA promoting local talent and our ordinary citizens issues and challenges.

krycor

Honorary Master
Whatevs.. different market segment. Also DSTV Now subs have free access to showmax so are they including this thereby double counting.. also is it active DSTV Now users or satellite users who “have access” much like Showmax.

Anyways.. Netflix requires network infrastructure and not easily used in hotels so new user growth will be slow compared to converting an existing user base or using marketing base.

Wondering how good localization is good on three platforms.. ie language in audio and text. Me thinks Africa does not offer much for the cost tbh.

dj2381

Expert Member
I wonder how much DSTV pays these "journalists" to do these clearly sponsored pieces? I'd be embarrassed to put my name on one of these many articles trying to polish a turd.

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member
chartoftheday_10311_netflix_subscriptions_usa_international_n.jpg
Netflix probably has more free subscribers than Dstv has total subscribers.

They are starting to create local content for Africa so expect that subscriber base to increase.

Milano

Honorary Master
MyBroadband asked MultiChoice what it estimated the number of Netflix subscribers in Africa were, but the company said it could not provide a concrete figure.

Like a true Gupta associate.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Total thumbsuck from Mc then... And not based in reality. Also I still reckon the majority of showmax subscribers are the ones who get it for free with their dstv subscription.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
What must be noted is that DSTV admitted that their Premium subscribers is declining!

Asgard85

This is all well and good for DSTV at the moment who I am sure are keen to drum up as much fanfare for their growth while it lasts to prop up their share prices (and it seems that this site is more than happy to assist them with their articles). The present lack of required broadband infrastructure in most of their markets is good news for them, but I'm sure they know that once more people gain access to relatively affordable uncapped broadband the real crunch will arrive.
They will likely continue to deliver more of the same mediocre content at the same high prices for as long as they possibly can, all the while pushing a narrative that they are competitive with VOD services, when the true test is yet to occur.
Maybe by the time their business model is truly threatened they will actually deliver a competitive product.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
"Using its own estimate of the number of Netflix subscribers in South Africa, MultiChoice asserted that DStv Now and Showmax were bigger than Netflix in Africa"

Estimate and assert = insert your own bias

lol you cant make this **** up. DSTV you numpties!

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Hmm something fishy with the numbers how many subscribers does showmax have if you exclude the subscriptions given away for free with DSTV premium?

R13...

Honorary Master
The comparison is stupid when they bundle in DStv now. It should be showmax Vs Netflix.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
How many Showmax subscribers in the UK since we are marketing comparing? :D

Netflix = 9.1 million
Showmax = ?

joecool

DStv Now and Showmax are bigger than Netflix in Africa - MultiChoice

MultiChoice has published its annual results presentation for the year ended 31 March 2019, detailing the company's performance across its online and pay-TV segments.

The company's subscription TV market is shifting towards widespread adoption of its lower-end products instead of its premium offerings, the company said.

The real story is here : https://teeveetee.blogspot.com/2019/06/tv-critics-notebook-if-you-want-to-see.html

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Who's responsible for this trash? If you're not going to tell diners paying to eat at your restaurant what the food is, rather don't even print or give them a menu. Just serve the food then.

Giving an empty page and trying to fake trash because you don't want to give anything but want to make it look as if you're giving something, is low-class fakery like when Scope magazine in South Africa's seventies would allude to boob but block out nipple.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: