DSTV Now Live TV streaming.... DSTV throttling speeds????

cecilh

Tried to watch the cricket to-day via DSTV Now. Continual buffering. Tried several other Live TV channels and very similar experience. Tested speed and its 20mbps. So tried Catchup - works perfectly. Went back to Live TV sport and buffering all the time. Then went to another device and streamed Catch Up on one device and Sport on the other. Again Catchup was fine, Sport terrible???
The obvious question - is DSTV deliberately throttling the download feeds for Live TV?????

WAslayer

Executive Member
Nope.. I am streaming the cricket just fine in the DSTv now app's 1080p setting..

Speedster

Honorary Master
I've been watching the golf since about 12 without any issues until about 30 mins ago when all of a sudden it started buffering and then kicking me out

Luke7777

Executive Member
Same problem over here since about an hour ago ... all devices are buffering... windows, ipad.. As per usual, Netflix, etc, runs perfectly on said devices

When it does play.... looks like lowest quality

Last edited:

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Nope.. I am streaming the cricket just fine in the DSTv now app's 1080p setting..
Me too. But it does happen some days that I'll need to kill the quality to get a decent feed.

Luke7777

Executive Member
been running 2 streams (both Aussie Open streams) the whole morning at highest quality until about 14:00. This is now at the same quality. Every now and then it will get better and then revert to this again

ds01.jpg ds02.jpg

Last edited:

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Tried to watch the cricket to-day via DSTV Now. Continual buffering. Tried several other Live TV channels and very similar experience. Tested speed and its 20mbps. So tried Catchup - works perfectly. Went back to Live TV sport and buffering all the time. Then went to another device and streamed Catch Up on one device and Sport on the other. Again Catchup was fine, Sport terrible???
The obvious question - is DSTV deliberately throttling the download feeds for Live TV?????

Think its perhaps less throttling, and more server capacity issues.

That said they have gotten better over the last year or two, IMHO.

cecilh

Still buffering badly... also quality is definitely not HD. Now I also can't get Catch Up to even start, but Showmax works fine??? Speed still +10. Agree it could be server capacity.

cecilh

And now this on Catch UP ...
This page isn’t working
now.dstv.com is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

Luke7777

Executive Member
Yip, they are struggling... will have to get up and go watch on the big TV :D

WAslayer

Executive Member
Still not having any issues streaming at 1080p and on a different network now than before..

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
I had a bit of buffering earlier, rebooted my LIT box and its been fine since then.

cecilh

Yep can't get Catch Up on any device now.... "Sorry, something went wrong. Please wait and try again in a few minutes" I am really getting Pi**ed with this service.

Last edited:

enerdude

Expert Member

Who is your ISP. I'm on vox telecom with 20/2 fibre and been streaming cricket whole day at max setting, no buffering at all.

Some ISPs do packet inspection so might even filter (throttle) live tv while have a less strict policy on VOD (catchup)

Also if you know the server name of the live stream by sniffing or something you can do a traceroute to see if there is maybe issues from your ip to the streaming server.

edit: SS2 is streaming from r-live-cache.akamaized.net

try in a cmd window:

tracert r-live-cache.akamaized.net

Last edited: