Dstv Now

KirstBrus01

Good day All.

I have been getting a 401 error message on DTSV now for 2 days. I deleted it and reinstalled it this morning,i tried to log into it again and I am now getting a 404 error message? Anyone able to assist?

KirstBrus01

Hi there. I am assuming so, I have downloaded it onto my smartbox. It has been working for long, just stopped this week.

BeachGirl

I am using Google Chromecast and have been able to stream for ages, and all of a sudden I am not longer to do so due to the error DRM: Licence request failed with HTTP status 401 - which refers to a login authorization error. The app is working seamlessly on other devices, just not Chromecast using Google Browser to stream. Browser cache, cookies have been cleared. The browser closed and opened a new page with a new login. Also, did a factory reset on the Chromecast. Not running the wifi connection via a VPN either. No fixes for this issue, the problem is still the same. Surely sure this is something on DSTV's end to be fixed, but then again, this is a huge asking from them.

Last edited:

joshuatree

Expert Member
So previously one could cast DStv Now from Chrome Browser on an Android Phone to circumvent the phone needing to be a registered device on the Dstv Now app?

I tried it the other day, and it didn't work. So it worked previously...damn.

Is this issue now on PC as well?

Oscar17

I’ve been able to watch DSTV Now on my Smart TV’s DSTVNOW app u til about a week ago when suddenly I can’t wat h certain channels. It is a registered device. I cleared the cache and cookies, reinstalled the app, rebooted the fiber, etc etc but can only watch some channels and not others. No one seems to know what the solution is. It’s been reset by DSTV but no luck. Surely someone must be able to help..??!

cavedog

Honorary Master
I’ve been able to watch DSTV Now on my Smart TV’s DSTVNOW app u til about a week ago when suddenly I can’t wat h certain channels. It is a registered device. I cleared the cache and cookies, reinstalled the app, rebooted the fiber, etc etc but can only watch some channels and not others. No one seems to know what the solution is. It’s been reset by DSTV but no luck. Surely someone must be able to help..??!

What ISP and what TV?

Some tv's and DSTV now app sometimes doesn't like IPv6. DSTV also recently implemented more Geo blocks to block more VPN and data centre IPs.

Oscar17

Thank you. It is RSAWeb and an LG TV, quite a new one. Worked fine until now.

What is IPv6?

joshuatree

Expert Member
I know quite a few people sometimes get caught out by the app's Recently Watched Channels and All Channels menu options navigation.

But it seems it obviously isn't this.

Oscar17

Yes I’ve tried both and the weirdest is that the channels that I can’t watch is available to watch on catch-up and sone main channels are available and others not. Everything worked perfectly and out of nowhere it changed.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Yes I’ve tried both and the weirdest is that the channels that I can’t watch is available to watch on catch-up and sone main channels are available and others not. Everything worked perfectly and out of nowhere it changed.
Their app in general is CRAP and probably for long-term use works better on a separate device connected to a smart TV than the smart TV itself.

Play it on your phone and see if it works, obviously device dependant then with issues if so. Just register/deregister the TV/phone if devices registrations is an issue.

Oscar17

I agree and it seems they just pass the buck and don’t know themselves what the problem is.

what type of separate device/s are there if I just want to use it for DSTV Now that you can recommend? Thanks a lot!

joshuatree

Expert Member
I agree and it seems they just pass the buck and don’t know themselves what the problem is.

what type of separate device/s are there if I just want to use it for DSTV Now that you can recommend? Thanks a lot!
Myself use Chromecast, 2nd and 3rd generation ones - that is casting most apps and even a Chrome browser with any video in it, from the phone to any TV with a Hdmi port and using the phone as a remote. The apps can run without the phone being nearby after being started. So a touchscreen remote and cast your programme to the TV.

The new Chromecast with Google TV , for about R1600, is the ultimate cheap way to go - an ' Android TV box ' but yet a Chromecast with Google's support and updates and a remote - and the new Google TV interface.