DStv Premium as we know it will die, as content taps are closed

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
The death of DStv Premium

MultiChoice’s DStv Premium product faces a massive threat as many of its international providers are closing their content distribution pipelines and moving their movies and shows to their own streaming services.

This is according to South African broadcasting analyst Thinus Ferreira, who recently spoke to MyBroadband about the future of the top-end package.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master

MultiChoice’s DStv Premium product faces a massive threat as many of its international providers are closing their content distribution pipelines and moving their movies and shows to their own streaming services.

This is according to South African broadcasting analyst Thinus Ferreira, who recently spoke to MyBroadband about the future of the top-end package.
This model in any country or as a service just doesn't make sense. We've, well most of us, have moved on from 'we tell when you can watch it' to 'we watch what we want when we want'. I guess you don't have to look for others still being stuck in this loop forcing a cinema line up down our throats crying about face time and dollars.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
This model in any country or as a service just doesn't make sense. We've, well most of us, has moved on from 'we tell when you can watch it' to 'we watch what we want when we want'. I guess you don't have to look far to see others still being stuck in this loop forcing the cinema line up down our throats crying about face time and dollars.
It makes sense where internet is poor which has been SA and most of Africa for a long time now.

They need to jump on the triple play bandwagon with an added pot sweetener....

MEG101

They cannot even get the "streaming service" to work properly...buffers more than stream even on a 50 mbps fiber line. Glad I got rid of them...got calls from them yesterday, but I ignored it like a stop street. They will never see me again.

Raphael123

Expert Member
They cannot even get the "streaming service" to work properly...buffers more than stream even on a 50 mbps fiber line. Glad I got rid of them...got calls from them yesterday, but I ignored it like a stop street. They will never see me again.
Yes its very buggy

JohnStarr

Executive Member
I stream using the access provided by a family member. Not all the time though, and specifically sports at the moment.
On our 8Mbps ADSL it buffered and would randomly pixalate before stopping the stream (DSTV said it was too many people streaming when this used to happen). Moved to a 10Mbps --> 20Mbps --> currently a 50Mbps fibre line and it did the same thing on all of them.
Britbox, Amazon Prime (when I tested it) and Netflix (we have BB/NF) never do this. Same with YouTube. It just works.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I've been saying this for a while. DSTVs only hope is that they can convince the providers that it's more profitable for them to stay out of SA - which is going to end up costing their subscribers plenty.

Or rely on self-produced content... :ROFL:

Speedster

Honorary Master
I stream using the access provided by a family member. Not all the time though, and specifically sports at the moment.
On our 8Mbps ADSL it buffered and would randomly pixalate before stopping the stream (DSTV said it was too many people streaming when this used to happen). Moved to a 10Mbps --> 20Mbps --> currently a 50Mbps fibre line and it did the same thing on all of them.
Britbox, Amazon Prime (when I tested it) and Netflix (we have BB/NF) never do this. Same with YouTube. It just works.
That's pretty weird. I have a similar arrangement and am able to stream without issue on my 25mbps fibre line while the kids watch Netflix in the other room.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
So, that's why they made the Flex compulsory package only R299 .... cause soon there will be nothing on it to actually watch :unsure:

superlekkerza

RIP DSTV Premium

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member

On what device(s), as a 20Mb fibre line works 100% for us streaming 2 channels at 1080 simultaneously :unsure:

JohnStarr

Executive Member
On what device(s), as a 20Mb fibre line works 100% for us streaming 2 channels at 1080 simultaneously :unsure:
I have a mini server. But it has zero hassles streaming Netflix, britbox or YouTube. None.

DSTV Premium on the other hand...and my ADSL was through Telkom/Webafrica (uncapped) and my fibre is through someone else. So it's not the ISP or line provider. Or the PC.

MEG101

On my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ and DStv Now App and on Computer using the Dstv Now website. All buffering and pixelating and streaming stops. 50mbps fiber line. Just completely useless, no problem on Netflix.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Twenty-five years ago the whole industry direction was towards aggregation. One subscription provided dozens of channels.

Now the trend is disaggregation. Instead of one or perhaps two subscriptions, we need five, six, maybe a dozen. Content owners can make more money by pulling their distribution from big aggregators and broadcasters and providing their own subscription services. Fragmentation is the result, and so households are spending more money every month on multiple services.

But sooner or later consumers will kick back and demand more aggregation.

Some entrepreneur will see the need and start the trend to reaggregation. $Billions to be made when consumers get tired of paying for and logging in to a dozen separate services.