DStv Premium as we know it will die, as content taps are closed

Gazg

They cannot even get the "streaming service" to work properly...buffers more than stream even on a 50 mbps fiber line. Glad I got rid of them...got calls from them yesterday, but I ignored it like a stop street. They will never see me again.
"Ignored it like a stop street" fantastic line, uniquely South African.

Charlesjjm

"Disney+ is also set to launch in South Africa next year, which should see DStv lose access to premium Disney content, including movies and shows from the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, as well as its National Geographic documentaries and shows."

Did DSTV broadcast any of these shows: The Mandalorian, Wandavision, FATWS, Loki, etc? If not, they've already lost their 'premium' status.

grok

Honorary Master
Twenty-five years ago the whole industry direction was towards aggregation. One subscription provided dozens of channels.

Now the trend is disaggregation. Instead of one or perhaps two subscriptions, we need five, six, maybe a dozen. Content owners can make more money by pulling their distribution from big aggregators and broadcasters and providing their own subscription services. Fragmentation is the result, and so households are spending more money every month on multiple services.

But sooner or later consumers will kick back and demand more aggregation.

Some entrepreneur will see the need and start the trend to reaggregation. $Billions to be made when consumers get tired of paying for and logging in to a dozen separate services.
This is true, just please for the love of dog don't let it be Multichoice..

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
"Disney+ is also set to launch in South Africa next year, which should see DStv lose access to premium Disney content, including movies and shows from the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, as well as its National Geographic documentaries and shows."

Did DSTV broadcast any of these shows: The Mandalorian, Wandavision, FATWS, Loki, etc? If not, they've already lost their 'premium' status.
Until you run out of things to watch on Disney+ unless you have kids that might not :rolleyes:

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Richly deserved Monochoice- there awaits a special place in hell for you,... you're reaping what you've sown!

Shadowchaser1

DSTV is still a "thing" in SA? They should have moved a long time ago for people to choose. So they cannot give you only a sport package? Really? I left SA in 2003, then it was already issue, if I remember correctly. WTH are they buffering, if others provide a good service?

Nereus77

DSTV is still a "thing" in SA? They should have moved a long time ago for people to choose. So they cannot give you only a sport package? Really? I left SA in 2003, then it was already issue, if I remember correctly. WTH are they buffering, if others provide a good service?
Yeah, they'd fare better if they could allow you to pick and choose your channels. This was suggested around 2005 but Multichoice refused. Its 2021 and they are still persisting with their 1990's thinking.

A lot of people prefer streaming as we can watch stuff when we are able to watch it. Channels of content starts looking boring by comparison.

DSTV is a relic of a bygone age and it will slowly fade into irrelevance.

shashe

As local talented producers, we are siting with piles of work that has never been played. That is where DSTV Premium should be looking to pep up their content.

shashe

As local talented producers, we are siting with piles of work that has never been played. That is where DSTV Premium should be looking to pep up their content.

Speedster

Honorary Master
If it is premium quality content you should look to licence it to Netflix or one of the other streaming providers