DStv Premium price compared to fibre with Netflix and Disney+

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
DStv vs fibre with Netflix and Disney+

MultiChoice recently increased the pricing of its DStv packages, and a MyBroadband analysis reveals that South Africans can get fibre and several streaming services for less each month than the price of DStv Premium.

While streaming services generally charge significantly lower fees, they require uncapped or very high-cap broadband connectivity

we opted for symmetrical
Why? Is upstream that important for streaming? Isn't asymmetrical cheaper?

Wouldn't something like a 40/20 line (R547.00) benefit/serve more streamers in the household than a 20/20 (R527.00)?

EDIT - I realise that pricing is dependent on the provider but still...

Last edited:
LOL another useless article by MBB.
Let me explain it to you again. DSTV's main attraction is that they have every major sport event in the world.
So comparing it to cheap streaming services that is showing old movies and series with NO LIVE SPORT is just ridiculous.
Its meaningless, compare it to some cheap package with no sport.

Last edited:
Dear MBB
I must have internet even if we stream or not. Work require me to have it.
I might be wrong but when will NASPERS stop forcing MBB to try to make DSTV great and make the rest crap?

We gonna pay for internet access in any case so why include it in the comparison. when i had 20/20 fibre it worked well even for multiple streams.
INTERNET access, NOT fibre. Also where am I gonna get fibre for R447 on Vuma? The cheapest is R727.

We've been through this countless times and these articles are always pointless. Not everyone can carry the extra expense and then not even being able to watch anything yet. It comes down to the content one wants and not the cost.

INTERNET access, NOT fibre. Also where am I gonna get fibre for R447 on Vuma? The cheapest is R727.

We've been through this countless times and these articles are always pointless. Not everyone can carry the extra expense and then not even being able to watch anything yet. It comes down to the content one wants and not the cost.

HuH? :unsure: ...

Screenshot_41.jpg
Screenshot_42.jpg
Screenshot_43.jpg
Screenshot_44.jpg

I'm glad that I know how to access sports without DSTV.

I have a 25/25 through vuma with RocketNet for R439 pm.. Area dependent but just saying :)

Need a fast internet connection for gaming + work so it's irrelevant for streaming price comparisons. It is dstv vs streaming packages not dstv vs streaming + internet.

Must be wonderful to be so bored to have so much time to write completely pointless articles like this. MBB do something meaningfull to add value to the economy.

While many people know how to watch live sports without DSTV, it would be wonderful if companies like Amazon could obtain rights to stream sports in South Africa.

While many people know how to watch live sports without DSTV, it would be wonderful if companies like Amazon could obtain rights to stream sports in South Africa.
Yes "sport" is a bit broad term. Easy to stream live "sport" but what sport is it? Is it the sport that most people want to watch in SA or just any sport like world championship ice fishing?

Back