DStv Premium vs Showmax Pro - Live sport comparison

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
DStv Premium vs Showmax Pro - Live sport comparison

Showmax has launched an enhanced version of its streaming service called Showmax Pro, which offers a selection of live sport.

Other features offered by this upgraded version of the streaming service include music channels and news, as well as the existing movies and series offered by Showmax.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
There is no specific date for the South African launch of Showmax Pro, and the company noted that sport content and pricing may vary by country.
So the comparison is based on... guess work and unicorn breath?

pouroverguy

I doubt it will have Premier League coverage, as surely Supersport have exclusive rights to that?

pouroverguy

Same parent company AFAIK, so they probably have some sort of licencing agreement

Would be great if they did offer Premier League and could actually provide stable full HD streams that look more like how HD looks if you have a Dish, and less like DSTV now. Sick and tired of the "1080p" football stream constantly changing to 144/240p on a 200mbps fiber line, and always being 1-2 minutes behind (so making it impossible to use twitter without getting spoilers).

Joseph matane

So DSTV premium is more expensive ko Kenya than in SA but SA has more sport content then Mybroadband forum members think Showmax Pro will be triple the price of current Showmax Standard
Which is pure speculation and there is no evidence but people comment as if they spoke to Showmax South Africa

SuperSport has broadcasting rights for major sporting codes in SA then they sell/share some of those broadcasting rights to SABC and Showmax which helps DSTV make more profits, so Showmax Pro annual price increments is unfound claim Showmax Standard has been R99 in SA for years now
So to speculate that permanent live sport will come will Dstv style increment is comparing cable tv with VOD which is wrong

I won't support claims that Showmax Pro will be almost same price as Dstv compact, Multichoice is greed but not stupid i expect Showmax Pro mobile to be competitive to Netflix Standard/Premium in terms of pricing

Last edited:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Would be great if they did offer Premier League and could actually provide stable full HD streams that look more like how HD looks if you have a Dish, and less like DSTV now. Sick and tired of the "1080p" football stream constantly changing to 144/240p on a 200mbps fiber line, and always being 1-2 minutes behind (so making it impossible to use twitter without getting spoilers).
Yes, the delay is a bit ridiculous. What is the science behind it? I can't get my head around a delay as long as 2 minutes. It's not like the signal is coming from Mars...

pouroverguy

Yes, the delay is a bit ridiculous. What is the science behind it? I can't get my head around a delay as long as 2 minutes. It's not like the signal is coming from Mars...

I have no idea, illegal streams tend to be worse and occasionally slightly better. There's no good reason for it, as the dish streams are pretty much synchronous with what's happening live.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I have no idea, illegal streams tend to be worse and occasionally slightly better. There's no good reason for it, as the dish streams are pretty much synchronous with what's happening live.
And it's not as if the delay is small. For me, it's always a full 2 minutes or so. Crazy.

pouroverguy

And it's not as if the delay is small. For me, it's always a full 2 minutes or so. Crazy.

In December I signed up for an Amazon Prime trial, and used a VPN to stream some of the Premier League games. There was basically zero lag. Multichoice providing terrible service as always.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
In December I signed up for an Amazon Prime trial, and used a VPN to stream some of the Premier League games. There was basically zero lag. Multichoice providing terrible service as always.
Crazy that it can be a multichoice issue and not some technical limitation.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

dj2381

Expert Member
Next up: Showmax Pro vs Showmax vs Netflix vs Amazon Prime etc.

Almost forgot F1TV, just in case.