DStv price cuts in Africa

Asgard85

This is actually a pretty smart move. Instead of competing with streaming services, rather be a complementary service and you don't lose clients. 1/2 an egg is better than no egg.
I dunno hey. Paying 37% less to watch adverts and repeats is still paying to watch adverts and repeats.

Note sure I'd be able to go back even at a reduced price.

Reactions: OCP

justplain

Expert Member
a family member was chatting about DSTV/netflix etc and I remembered that they had xtraview..which you pay for.
I suggested that as they have fibre and conveniently 2 tv's with chromecasts, they simply cancel the xtraview and use the dstvnow app to cast to one of the tv's when need.
TLDR, if you have DSTV and fibre and more than one tv, try a streaming method on the second TV etc and kill the extraview. R80 saved immediately.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
a family member was chatting about DSTV/netflix etc and I remembered that they had xtraview..which you pay for.
I suggested that as they have fibre and conveniently 2 tv's with chromecasts, they simply cancel the xtraview and use the dstvnow app to cast to one of the tv's when need.
TLDR, if you have DSTV and fibre and more than one tv, try a streaming method on the second TV etc and kill the extraview. R80 saved immediately.
Oh yes, chromecast is free.

Citizen2

Once we all get 5G coverage( which will compete with fibre) RIP multichoice .

justplain

Expert Member
Haha, I could have just as easily said they had an old laptop they plugged in via HDMI and used DSTV now instead of extra view
also, they could have not bought the second tv and used the old laptop.
They could also not have bought the laptop originally
Also, they could not have DSTV at all...
You win some, you lose some :)
Oh yes, chromecast is free.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
About the only time, DSTV gets used at home, is when I am at home, remember there is live football or cricket on, then I watch, the family watches Netflix, or YouTube, or Twitch TV.

For the few hours ( 2-3 ) a month, I don't know that it is worth my money any more.

wingnut771

Executive Member
but no pvr.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Correct. No pvr so that's not an ideal option. Extraview is way better as dstv now is very poor i.t.o performance
i don't have an issue with the app, good for when you don't want to get off the bed and just watch on the laptop or when when you're on the bog or at work.

wentworth65

i don't have an issue with the app, good for when you don't want to get off the bed and just watch on the laptop or when when you're on the bog or at work.
What irks me is sometimes on the iPad you get a message that a show is not licensed by dstv for mobile

joshuatree

Expert Member
From this article , it is not happening in South Africa :

DStv word goedkoper, maar nie in SA

shared via @Netwerk24

---------
From the article , there is a comparative chart , which shows Dstv Premium as the cheapest in :

Angola = R500
Nigeria = R660
South Africa came in third cheapest together with Namibia and Swaziland = R809
Botswana = R820
Ghana = R920
Zambia = R980

Most expensive :

Ethiopia = R1200
Malawi and Mozambique = R1170
Kenya = R1160
Uganda = R1150
Tanzania = R1115

Tried to take screenshots , but couldn't due to security restrictions by the app and a browser @ Netwerk24.

Last edited: