DStv price increases across the board

heartbroken

Expert Member
R10 more expensive than my 20mb fibre line with Netflix premium.
You really shouldn't be including your fibre lines price in the comparison. It's an infrastructure cost of something you use for other things as well. You could maybe attribute a portion of the price to "streaming" based on how much it's being used for streaming vs other thins such as work and games.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
You really shouldn't be including your fibre lines price in the comparison. It's an infrastructure cost of something you use for other things as well. You could maybe attribute a portion of the price to "streaming" based on how much it's being used for streaming vs other thins such as work and games.
Sure you must. Can't stream Netflix at al without it.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Sure you must. Can't stream Netflix at al without it.

If you're going to attribute a fibre cost then it should be the difference between the slowest fibre package and one that can stream Netflix.

Oh wait, even 10Mbps fibre can stream Netflix.

MeroD

Was forced to watch dstv when I've looked after my parents house over the holidays (seeing internet access is almost non-existent there). I've actually started feeling depressed after after a week; so much so that I reconnected the old dvd player just so I can watch a decent movie. They mostly watch KykNet on the thing, so I guess for them it's probably worth it though.

sdikgetsi

It's cheaper to stack up on a bunch of premium streaming services:

Netflix (R139), Disney+ (~R110/$7), HBO Max (~R230/$14.99), Amazon Prime Video (~R100/$5.99) and a $5 (R80) DNS service all add up to R659 per month. You can also chuck in F1 TV for another R80/$4.99. This is an ungodly and unwatchable amount of top content.

The DSTV streaming service could have been something great for an easy local option without any hassles. Instead, it's a woefully overpriced insult to consumers.
...I have topped up all that with Hulu and still is less than the premium (Repeats) of Dstv. Insanevalue for money on what I can stream. Had it not been of my wife and her Mzanzi stuff I could taken my saw and got rid of that dish from house forever.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
...I have topped up all that with Hulu and still is less than the premium (Repeats) of Dstv. Insanevalue for money on what I can stream. Had it not been of my wife and her Mzanzi stuff I could taken my saw and got rid of that dish from house forever.

You should check if Showmax or Showmax Pro has her content. Much cheaper than DStv.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master

Netflix (R139), Disney+ (~R110/$7), HBO Max (~R230/$14.99), Amazon Prime Video (~R100/$5.99) and a $5 (R80) DNS service all add up to R659 per month. You can also chuck in F1 TV for another R80/$4.99. This is an ungodly and unwatchable amount of top content.

The DSTV streaming service could have been something great for an easy local option without any hassles. Instead, it's a woefully overpriced insult to consumers.
Stupid will stupid.

daveza

Honorary Master
Only reason for DSTV is sport.

Hasn't been much sport for a year - DSTV increases prices... :unsure:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

I suggest the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle for $13.

heartbroken

Expert Member
DSTV is a brilliant service
It knows people are leaving so they are just working on making it easier to leave

Truly thoughtful
It's not easy to leave though. I had DSTV for my crazy ex a few years back to try and shut her up. Cancelled and then a year later woke up to a nice bill. They decided to automatically reactivate my account. Lost maybe 10 hours of work trying to get them to clear my account again.

quax

For sport it's good. If you don't watch sport then even Showmax is a decent deal for HBO shows - which Netflix doesn't have.

Otherwise AARRRGGG raise the Jolly Roger matie! We can't be expected to sub to all these steaming services....

grok

Honorary Master
For sport it's good. If you don't watch sport then even Showmax is a decent deal for HBO shows - which Netflix doesn't have.

Otherwise AARRRGGG raise the Jolly Roger matie! We can't be expected to sub to all these steaming services....

Plus the seas them ships sail have 4k blueray..

Yet so many channels aren't even in HD.