DSTV signal lost at certain times of the day

snobee

I stay in the Helderberg Mountain/Spanish Farm area in Somerset West. For the past couple of weeks (nearly 2 months) during the day from late morning to late afternoon, our DSTV signal will completely vanish. The decoder just sits on zero signal/quality, and says I mustn't restart the decoder, just wait until the signal returns.

Now, the problem NEVER occurs in the evening and up to 9am, and usually never over the weekend. As we hardly watch TV during the day, it was not a problem, but nearly two months down the line and hoping it would just get better, it has been getting worse. Sometimes it is still off at 5/6pm. I phoned Multichoice and they gave me the usually crap on their troubleshooting flow chart which didn't take into account the consistency fact which is most unusual, suggesting it is not a hardware fault on my side. I phoned a satellite technician this morning, and he reported a number of people in the past few weeks have been complaining about the same fault in the area. There is nothing he can do about it as he believes it has something to do with TopTV testing and interference during the testing. Whatever....
Is this an ICASA problem? Should I contact Multichoice again, and wait for them to sort something out? Words of wisdom?

isie

Honorary Master
There is nothing he can do about it as he believes it has something to do with TopTV testing and interference during the testing. Whatever....
Thats BS as TOP Tv cant intefer with DSTV. 1st of all the satelites are at oposites ends of the sky, and if there was an inteference problem we would all suffer, !

During the times where it goes off, could there posibly be some thing blocking your dishes view of the sky? it doenst have to be close but within line of site?
It may be something like a windmill in the distance :) (you did say its a farm area)

snobee

Thats BS as TOP Tv cant intefer with DSTV. 1st of all the satelites are at oposites ends of the sky, and if there was an inteference problem we would all suffer, !

During the times where it goes off, could there posibly be some thing blocking your dishes view of the sky? it doenst have to be close but within line of site?
It may be something like a windmill in the distance :) (you did say its a farm area)
No, nothing blocks it, and as mentioned numerous other people have complained about the same problem in the past few weeks... which is highly suspicious of something out of our control and not on the end-user property.

Kheiron

Since it doesn't affect anybody else using the same satellite (outside your area) and since it simply cannot be caused by TopTV with them being on a completely separate satellite, the only explanation is some sort of atmospheric attenuation of the satellite signal.
Not much that can be done if this is the case though, I'm afraid. The only recommendation I can give is to see if you get the same problem with a larger dish.