DStv signs big streaming deal with Netflix - What to expect

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

McT

The Humble Scot!
Will this mean that Netflix and Amazon will not compete locally for some of the titles and licences Monochoice holds in their stable?

Normally I would like to see this as something that brings newer and better things. But with D$TV, I cannot help but feel that they're doing this to diddle Netflix viewers out of certain titles available internationally in their service.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Will this mean that Netflix and Amazon will not compete locally for some of the titles and licences Monochoice holds in their stable?

Normally I would like to see this as something that brings newer and better things. But with D$TV, I cannot help but feel that they're doing this to diddle Netflix viewers out of certain titles available internationally in their service.
I would hope it is merely an agreement to have the services work on the explora rather than anything to do with content itself...

StevenC

Expert Member
So let me guess. They'll resell it to you for more $$ but from their 'unified' box?
Of course, they still need to sell their own cr@p alongside it. After losing so many customers, it's good that they at least woke up to the fact that they are no longer the place to go for entertainment for South Africans.

Of course, now they have to convince people to pay more for the all-in-one "media player", which is bound to have it's own set of issues and poorly designed custom software. How do they do that? Simply by obtaining exclusivity for content in South Africa like they have been doing for decades. I mean, they could go the other way by enabling access to content sooner through their deals for existing customers of those services, but they really want you to buy that box.

If it's not available on vanilla Netflix due to this deal, then Netflix will lose me as a customer.

Fjorko

Expert Member
DeeEsTeeVee is sooo hilarious ! They will use this conniving scheme to lure people back to Premium and call it a value added service to justify their overpriced garbage service. I'm sure Netflix and Amazon is doing very well without them anyway, even though this so called "deal" was signed.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Cool. I posted that DStv should consider a partnership with Disney+. Curious that they went with Netflix AND Amazon.

Thor

Honorary Master
I would hope it is merely an agreement to have the services work on the explora rather than anything to do with content itself...
So their box is now trying to compete with my smart tv, apple tv, chromecast, iPhone etc

Goodluck.

Swa

Honorary Master
It's hilarious, they still haven't fixed the issues and shortcomings with their previous devices. Now they're working on a new one to abandon.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
DStv signs big streaming deal with Netflix - What to expect

MultiChoice has signed a groundbreaking deal with Netflix and Amazon to bring these streaming services to its own unified platform.

In the company's annual results presentation for the year ended 31 March 2020, it said that it had entered into agreements with both Netflix and Amazon to integrate these services into its upcoming Explora device for South African customers.
Is this going to be up to 4k or more decolonized 720p?

We surely don't have 14" crt monitors any longer and their offering of american-content are kak. I'd rather download a handbag in actual 1080p to 4k than sit through another decolonized GoT.