killadoob

Honorary Master
It is bloody ridiculous and it will end up with us needing to have both dstv and toptv for sport.

Toptv will get the rights to f1 for instance while dstv take the english prem, toptv take italian etc. That is how it works in other countries and you end up paying far more to watch what we see on dstv. In the UK for instance you need multiple networks to view sport, the US you need multiple networks to see things like boxing, pay per view :eek:, fk no.

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!

SA soccer will become a joke again, right now it is improving due to the money pumped into it by dstv. We really need arguably the most populated(content) sport network on the planet to stay that way. We see literally every big sporting event on dstv. Other countries have to use multiple companies to see all the sport we do.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Bekker said that the reason they can pay the bill is because they have exclusive rights on the content.

The don't pay the bill or let someone else help pay the bill, you douche!

Executive Member
The don't pay the bill or let someone else help pay the bill, you douche!

Thats a the solution. If the event costs R10 million, and 5 people want rights, then sell the rights to each of them for R2 million. If only 1 wants the rights, sell it for R10 million. Encourages broadcasters to "split" the bill and lets everyone (topTV people, DSTV people, SABC ect) happy.

Obronie

Agree killadoob, and with DSTV you have a tightly integrated PVR setup where you can record anything.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Thats a the solution. If the event costs R10 million, and 5 people want rights, then sell the rights to each of them for R2 million. If only 1 wants the rights, sell it for R10 million. Encourages broadcasters to "split" the bill and lets everyone (topTV people, DSTV people, SABC ect) happy.

This. The exclusivity is the problem, no one said give it to them for free. A pay tv operator can only make money if they are getting the content. They would be more than happy to pay for it if they were making money from it.
If all of them are showing it then great, you can still pvr your sport because you still get it.

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
So TV pays the bills and if you take the South African PSL soccer league we pay for everything, we pay for every player and the lights at the stadium and…the backroom, we pay all the bills.

Wow ego much. douche bag. WELL FUK THE CUSTOMERS WHO PAY dstv TO GET THESE RIGHTS SO THEY CAN SELL IT AT A PROFIT.

poorestguy

It is bloody ridiculous and it will end up with us needing to have both dstv and toptv for sport.

Toptv will get the rights to f1 for instance while dstv take the english prem, toptv take italian etc. That is how it works in other countries and you end up paying far more to watch what we see on dstv. In the UK for instance you need multiple networks to view sport, the US you need multiple networks to see things like boxing, pay per view :eek:, fk no.

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!

SA soccer will become a joke again, right now it is improving due to the money pumped into it by dstv. We really need arguably the most populated(content) sport network on the planet to stay that way. We see literally every big sporting event on dstv. Other countries have to use multiple companies to see all the sport we do.

no thanks, paying over 600 bucks a month is ludicrous. i dont watch rugby or F1. just cricket and occasional soccer.if top tv can get cricket rights for example and its only 350 or so. i'll gladly pay.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I have infinitely more respect for Bekker than for Pule, but this time you are being irritating. Yes, we know we have to pay. I currently have dstv at more than R600/ month to be able to watch, maybe, 3 rugby games a month. That's R200 per game. You may have us by the short and curlies Mr Bekker, but you have no loyalty.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
Used to watch F1 on TV - don't much anymore unless it is live on SuperSport 2 on my drifta, although I do get better quality streaming online and 200MB is about R4 of data on 8ta's R200/10GB package.

Used to watch Currie Cup rugby. Then rugby rights got sold away from free to air TV and in between I lost interest and slowly stopped following the teams on newspaper as well. The best I could do was follow schoolboy rugby on Mabeleng (Martin Locke on SABC) until that died as well.

Used to support my local team for one day cricket, then it went over to Super sport and I slowly lost interest, now I just follow them on Cricinfo. I know more about IPL and Indian players than local cricketers. Don't follow Safricans at the tennis tournaments, the Nedbank golf Challenge anymore.

Left with EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga and the occasional LA Liga game on the drifta, when I don't find a decent enough game I stream the teams I follow.

Sadly I don't get to support South African sport much because the costs have priced me out a long time ago.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
DSTV is slowly killing local sports with the exception is being Soccer SAFA doing that quiet well without DSTV

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Are you people crazy? Can you think of any other country that has all the sport in one place? The last thing I want is to have to take out multiple pay-TV subscriptions.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Lets defend the monopoly and dismiss the merits competition because switching between devices might be too challenging. :rolleyes:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Lets defend the monopoly and dismiss the merits competition because switching between devices might be too challenging. :rolleyes:

What merits are there to pay-TV competition? TV is outrageously expensive in the US, UK and the rest of Europe and they have plenty of competition. And it's not just a case of switching sources on your TV - multiple subscriptions will be damn expensive.

BruceA

DStv have possibly the best sports coverage in the world. Sure, at nearly R700 for the premium package, it is expensive in South African terms, but I love having it all in one place.

If they were to do away with exclusive rights, and, for example, TopTV had to pay half of what DStv pay for Super 15 coverage, that would be fine. Consumers would have the choice of which channel they watched on. But TopTV could not currently afford to pay the same as DStv - they simply don't have the cashflow to pay for it! Even if someone was prepared to bankroll them, they would be forced to increase their subscription fees. Sure, they would be able to get more income from advertising, but advertisers pay based on viewership, and it would take TopTV a few years to get even close to DStv's viewership.

It is very difficult for a competitor to enter a market that is already near saturation.

Necuno

Court Jester
Do away with the cashcow naspers has going and then anyone can stream any sport even if they are not management in PJs. Let it not stop there...

K

kingrob

DStv have possibly the best sports coverage in the world. Sure, at nearly R700 for the premium package, it is expensive in South African terms, but I love having it all in one place.

If they were to do away with exclusive rights, and, for example, TopTV had to pay half of what DStv pay for Super 15 coverage, that would be fine. Consumers would have the choice of which channel they watched on. But TopTV could not currently afford to pay the same as DStv - they simply don't have the cashflow to pay for it! Even if someone was prepared to bankroll them, they would be forced to increase their subscription fees. Sure, they would be able to get more income from advertising, but advertisers pay based on viewership, and it would take TopTV a few years to get even close to DStv's viewership.

It is very difficult for a competitor to enter a market that is already near saturation.

+1