DStv standalone streaming launched in South Africa

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Why are you guys expecting this to be cheaper that the decoder based service. It's not like content costs suddenly drop because it's a streaming service? Multichoice must just learn to negotiate better something they seem to have deliberating ignored because the high price kept them in business.
Black Elite will pay

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Good for her. My grandmother gets by just fine with Openview, but that doesn't make it's content comparable to DStv.

Netflix is superior to DSTV, except with regard to sport. If you are happy to allow Openview to abuse your poor Grandmother with their advertising, so be it.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hmm, so R410 a month for sports, if you share with a buddy? I'd probably get it over the summer for cricket, especially since they’re showing local 4-day series now.
If you get the satellite package you get that plus two streams. Do you understand how bad a deal this is?

3WA

Honorary Master
If you get the satellite package you get that plus two streams. Do you understand how bad a deal this is?

Yeah, but you're only gonna split the cost three ways if you can find one guy who agrees to pay a third without using the streaming service.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yeah, but you're only gonna split the cost three ways if you can find one guy who agrees to pay a third without using the streaming service.

You mean the guy with the HD satellite service?

R13...

Honorary Master
I'm going to disagree. Most of the best TV shows of the last 2 decades have come from HBO and Showtime.
Most of those end up appearing on Showmax. Sometimes even in parallel. So no real need for premium except for the sports offering. My opinion.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Most of those end up appearing on Showmax. Sometimes even in parallel. So no real need for premium except for the sports offering. My opinion.

Yeah, Showmax (due to Multichoice contracts) gets HBO and Showtime content. It's a big reason that I'm tempted to get Showmax over Netflix if the Game of Thrones spin offs ever get made.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Rich coming from a guy who can't tell the difference between cricket and an emo teenage series.

Thats your view, and you are welcome ... , International Cricket is obtainable on Sky, BT and others, easily ...

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Almost the same price as normal satellite where you subsidize a decoder, except here you subsidize the Streama (wow, what a name!) instead of doing what the rest of the streamers around the world do and allow you to use what you want.
Wonder if there will be a device-less option for R400 less?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Almost the same price as normal satellite where you subsidize a decoder, except here you subsidize the Streama (wow, what a name!) instead of doing what the rest of the streamers around the world do and allow you to use what you want.
Wonder if there will be a device-less option for R400 less?

Well, if they make it Streama, or nothing, they gonna loose ...