DStv standalone streaming launched in South Africa

pcdoc

DStv standalone streaming launched in South Africa

DStv has launched its standalone streaming service, allowing users to sign up for the full DStv experience without a satellite connection.

"Watch all your favourite TV shows, movies and sport on your terms," the company states on its overhauled sign-up page.
So in addition to my new DSTV Streaming only package, I have to add an internet fibre connection.Now I can take down my ugly DSTV Dish.
Sorry DSTV I did that long ago when I cancelled my DSTV and moved to Netflix.
There are any amount of apps on Android that allow you to watch international sport and overseas channels, also Movies and Series.
Will not be signing up with your expensive streaming package

Digitaluser

I am very happy with DStv streaming only compact package for news lifestyle and some sport plus subscribing to Netflix and Showmax for series and movies Spotify for Music and Podcasts ( All on a tiny Xiaomi S Box) also OVHD and Digital Terrestrial BBC Sounds app and thousands of internet radio stations I 'm in Geek heaven :love:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Shame on Multichoice for such disgraceful pricing.

R599 pm is the absolute max they should be charging for a streaming-only service.

PDF_27

Shame on Multichoice for such disgraceful pricing.

R599 pm is the absolute max they should be charging for a streaming-only service.
especially considering the content is 1 minute behind real time, most irritating during sports.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Does anyone know what resolution DSTV streams, sport at, that is 1080p or 1080i and at what frame rates. 720p and what frame rate.

Reason I am asking, is I am considering getting an nVidia Shield TV, and want to be sure that it will up upscale sports events to 4K.

Only the Shield Pro upscales 1080p @ 60 frames, the Shield TV only does 1080p @ 30 frames.

Shields are not cheap, thus trying to eliminate possible potholes.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Does anyone know what resolution DSTV streams, sport at, that is 1080p or 1080i and at what frame rates. 720p and what frame rate.

Reason I am asking, is I am considering getting an nVidia Shield TV, and want to be sure that it will up upscale dports events to 4K.

Only the Shield Pro upscales 1080p @ 60 frames, the Shield TV only does 1080p @ 30 frames.

Shields are not cheap, thus trying to eliminate possible potholes.
AFAIK, dstv satellite is 1080i. I highly doubt DSTV is 60 frames but why not future proof and get the pro anyway?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Just checked a few DStv Now streams as I have access via a satellite subscription - the quality is still garbage on my 200Mbps fibre connection. Pixelated as hell. How the F is this worth R819 pm?

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Just checked a few DStv Now streams as I have access via a satellite subscription - the quality is still garbage on my 200Mbps fibre connection. Pixelated as hell. How the F is this worth R819 pm?

No idea, probably tell you it is weather phenomenon ... , or some such.

Stuey74

They also seem to think that because you are not paying for their hardware you can pay a little extra monthly, which drops if you take the traditional setup as well as streaming. Really not seeing the thinking behind this.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
I laughed. And then laughed some more.

And their streaming quality is super ****. I wouldn't even pay R100 for the current quality stream.

Youtube 4k
Netflix 4k
ShowMax - good 1080p
Dstv - compressed moer toe... quality is early 90's video quality

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master

And their streaming quality is super ****. I wouldn't even pay R100 for the current quality stream.

Youtube 4k
Netflix 4k
ShowMax - good 1080p

They have had nearly 2 years to get this right, oh, I forget, everything runs on Africa Time here.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master

Youtube 4k
Netflix 4k
ShowMax - good 1080p

Streaming resolution on DStv packages is 720p across all devices.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Streaming resolution on DStv packages is 720p across all devices.
The compression they use is f0ck their stream. I don't trust Dstv ... because what I see is bad.

I have watched (it's set to 1080 p or i, can't remember)....and it's pixelated. Fast moving scenes is very blocky. It looks like 90's video file.

And this is with 10meg ADSL, and now uncapped RAIN 5g, 300 Mbp/s. Like i say 4k youtube etc works perfect.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Awesome, this is going to further congest all the Fibre and mobile connections, imagine an entire estate trying to watch all their DStv in the evening hours via streaming.. lovely
IP TV services usually use multicast traffic. So in theory the load is a lot less than if each subscriber maintained their own connection to the server.

I'm not sure how this particular service is implemented though.