DStv to get TV series at speed of piracy

House

Banned
DStv to get TV series at same as US

M-net will start airing new episodes of certain TV series within hours of their broadcast in the US.
Not good enough.

If I want to stay up until 4am, I'll download an episode in 20 minutes, 20 minutes after it aired in the US, and watch it 20 minutes before it starts in SA.

Besides, hope they air it in 1080p quality and allow me to copy it to my HDD, else I'll just get it online.

Totempole

Expert Member
Because of the fast turn-around time, the express episode will unfortunately not have a family track or hearing impaired titles, M-net said.
Idiots. What makes them think this won't be a big problem for some people? :confused:

She also hinted that the availability of series through illegal channels shortly after their US debut was a motivator for M-Net to secure an express broadcast of new series
Wow, would never have guessed it. :p

Last edited:

whatwhat

Executive Member
The first episode of Ray Donovan will hit US screens on the Showtime channel in their prime time slot on Sunday, 13 July 2013

lol.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
This is pretty good, but I bet there'll still be idiots that moan about it. It's impossible to get it faster via any other means (sounds like it'll immediately after it ends in US). and 720p DD5.1 is the max quality most the shows air at.

Putting it on catch-up is a good idea, that's like a news/torrent autodownloader for the non tech savvy :)

We can still moan about the price (even though it's internationally competitive), but it's getting REALLY difficult to moan about the content.

Last edited:

Jola

Honorary Master
Not going back to DSTV unless they halve their prices.

rrh

Expert Member
Not going back to DSTV unless they halve their prices.
Ditto

That said, international research has shown that "piracy" is frequently a second choice - i.e. if people can view legally they won't torrent - so one must applaud DSTV's efforts.

House

Banned
Ditto

That said, international research has shown that "piracy" is frequently a second choice - i.e. if people can view legally they won't torrent - so one must applaud DSTV's efforts.
No.

Bring down prices, release more new content, release it immediately, release better quality (1080p on all new shows) and then the applauds will start.

Else, downloads, while it is still legal, is the route to go, so much more advantages...

quovadis

Expert Member
We can still moan about the price (even though it's internationally competitive), but it's getting REALLY difficult to moan about the content.
When you say DSTV is internationally competitive which services are you referring to?

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
If DStv announced that it would be free from now, people would still complain.

House

Banned
I am going to strike unless everyone stops complaining.

:D
Lol :D

That was what I thought.... maybe we should organize a general complaining strike - that will never have a solution... and keep striking about that....

nexxus

To be fairly honest, it does seem that DSTV can do no right here. This is a solid development that many have complained about, it literally cannot get the content here faster than this. There's utterly no point in blowing your prime time slot by showing something like Game of Thrones at 3am Monday.

There was a big fuss when someone on the DSTV forum said they don't care about what anyone says here but to be fairly honest, why even bother with engaging with a place where the environment is so toxically against you. In order to make any conversation viable, it needs to hold the interest of both parties, I know if I was a social media rep for any company, I wouldn't waste my time engaging in a place where I'm just clattered no matter what.

nexxus

Yes, so what, we have the right to complain!
Of course you do but then don't be surprised if people eventually stop listening. There's no incentive to, like it or no, this forum forms a very small sliver of a just as small a market segment of DSTV's subscriber base. They have very little to gain or lose by pleasing or offending you and since you're constantly offended anyway, what's the point of interaction? Hiding to nothing.