DStv vs Netflix - Movies, series, and sport

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

Due to the relatively high price of DStv, some subscribers have chosen to cut the cord and move to a purely Internet-based entertainment platform like Netflix.

This can save money if you do not have a fibre connection, but it can also be an effective way to cut down on spending if you already have an Internet connection.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This whole DStv vs Netflix is getting tired. It's DSTV vs the internet, any other comparison is pointless.

EDIT and some of the movie comparisons are ridiculous - try streaming The Godfather right now, you can't because it's SABC.

I tried searching for other shows but all I got was...

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 19.41.42.png
Which is something Netflix doesn't have...

EADC

Executive Member
Netflix is great till they take away something you want to watch, so much for watching what you want when you want.

More like enjoy what Netflix allows you to watch.

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Netflix is great till they take away something you want to watch so much for what you want when you want.

More like enjoy what Netflix allows you to watch
My head hurts now.

Savy561

Netflix is great till they take away something you want to watch, so much for watching what you want when you want.

More like enjoy what Netflix allows you to watch.
As annoying as that is, it is necessary for the monthly price to stay competitive. They have to pay for the licences of movies and tv series so just imagine what the price would be if they kept all shows from the day they opened business.

Personally I enjoy netflix as I am not a sport kind of guy, netflix, crunchyroll, funimation and showmax are the streaming services I subscribe to.

Pandas2

I only really follow F1 so I simply download it on Monday, a day after the race to watch the full race. I always manage to avoid any news about results until I've watched, this is luckily because I don't watch SABC TV either I'm all in on Amazon Prime Video and Netflix.

dj2381

Expert Member
I see the Dstv ads are back, I'm sure there will be more this coming week, also a stupid comparison, make it Showmax vs Netflix to get a real comparison.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
You can stream al sport on sky sport
Sky only gets 22 of the 38 English Premier League games, BT also only get 22 games, then there are Champions League, Europa League as well, any others are a bonus. Then Cricket and Rugby. And so it goes ...

EasyComs

SA sport has been ''captured'' by DSTV - it's high time that ends !
Happy to see moves afoot about this
It would be great to have an online alternate channel for sport

JohanMar

Due to the relatively high price of DStv, some subscribers have chosen to cut the cord and move to a purely Internet-based entertainment platform like Netflix.

This can save money if you do not have a fibre connection, but it can also be an effective way to cut down on spending if you already have an Internet connection.
You can stream al sport on sky sport
At a price UK pound sterling and only with a VPN?