DStv vs Node vs Vidi: South African on-demand video shootout

So Comcast in the states is slowing Netflix down to a trickle. Netflix users get smart and use VPN services. Copyright owners in the States now demand that Netflix block VPN users. Is this just coincident or is this an example of conspiracy against Netflix?

[video=youtube;8fwVqNLXptQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fwVqNLXptQ[/video]

I like the idea of the home automation. The only issue with those systems are that usually I would not be able to connect it to my current systems. (Propitiatory) And the prohibiting cost. I recon one of those cams would run you about 800 bucks to 1.2K where as my entire system was 4K in with PVR and 8 Cams.

I like the idea of the home automation. The only issue with those systems are that usually I would not be able to connect it to my current systems. (Propitiatory) And the prohibiting cost. I recon one of those cams would run you about 800 bucks to 1.2K where as my entire system was 4K in with PVR and 8 Cams.

I don't. I don't like bundling systems. I'm in the market for a tv/video offering and that's all i'd like to pay for. I'll always support push vod as i believe it's the only feasible option for SA conditions but that R3500 includes crap i don't want.

Push VOD normally is cheaper then Pull VOD (netflix) because of the much smaller selection so R300 a month is a ripoff. It's also much more effective with a free or very low cost tv offering added on a second tuner. For me there's some issues:

According to them, they'll refresh 10% of the content every month. Now, you don't know which content will be refreshed,so you end up watching all/most of it. Lets say after month 2 you will end up only with:
* 20 hours of tv series a month (28 episodes)
* 14 new movies a month
You'll be paying R300 a month for 90% of the same content. Every month you'll be paying R300 for 90% of the same content.
After a year, you have paid R3600 for new monthly content that's really only worth R330 (10% x 11 months) + R300 for the first month. And that doesn't even mean, you liked all that 10%.

Granted the nature of VOD means there won't be 100% new content every month, that's why R300 a month is a ripoff and 10% new stuff a month too low.

To access Netflix in South Africa you will likely also need a virtual private network or some kind of region unblocking tool. One popular service charges $4.95 per month.

Just say it, it's unotelly. Unless Mybb is also afraid of facing legal pressure like axxess and their Global Axxess service :D

For now, torrents work out fine for me, until such time Telkom starts charging around R300 p/m uncapped, including line rental, then after that I will take Hulu/Netflix.

I dont see my Media player listed... Well over 10000 hours of entertainment, zero costs...

*side eyes*

I would not use Node just because of Altech.
My thinking too...you've gotta admit though...at this stage I'm more likely to risk dealing with Altech than Multichoice. :sick:

Also...on initially eyeballing Altech's Node thing seems solid so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of doubt.

I would not use Node just because of Altech.

Why? DSTV's best decoders are the Altech/UEC ones - remember the legendary SD dual-view decoder that's built like a tank and works a decade after you bought it?. The ones you don't want to deal with are the piece of poo Pace decoders they import, they're awful.

some HBO content is coming to Node.. that's interesting; something not even Netflix can boast!

Vidi's people also told me they're in negotiations with HBO. Everyone's after Game of Thrones, I reckon.

The showstopper is that I don't think that this can be used with multiple TVs? Most average households have >1 TV plus multiple devices. I would buy something like this immediately if it could simultaneously stream to phones/tablets as well as remote TVs. And, while it may run Android, it is ring-fenced to the "Node App Store" so I very much doubt you'd be able to install Supersport without some serious hacking/workarounds.

The showstopper is that I don't think that this can be used with multiple TVs? Most average households have >1 TV plus multiple devices. I would buy something like this immediately if it could simultaneously stream to phones/tablets as well as remote TVs. And, while it may run Android, it is ring-fenced to the "Node App Store" so I very much doubt you'd be able to install Supersport without some serious hacking/workarounds.

Well I know it can do the phone/tablet thing.

Back