DStv with uncapped fibre coming soon to South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

MultiChoice plans to launch DStv subscriptions bundled with uncapped fibre through South African ISPs in the near future.

This is according to MultiChoice CEO Calvo Mawela, who told MyBroadband that the company plans to launch this product through partner ISPs before the end of its financial year in March 2021.

justplain

Expert Member
Well, the combined package better be cheaper than having a separate DSTV sub and a ISP fee... AND be scalable based on fibre speeds of the customers choice!
No point in already having a 100mb line and the DSTV/ISP package only offers a 20mb line.
Lets see how well they've thought this out.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

MultiChoice plans to launch DStv subscriptions bundled with uncapped fibre through South African ISPs in the near future.

This is according to MultiChoice CEO Calvo Mawela, who told MyBroadband that the company plans to launch this product through partner ISPs before the end of its financial year in March 2021.
Does it require a sabc licence? or does that come with it for free?

Stuey74

"MultiChoice has stated that customers who sign up for a standalone DStv bouquet without a satellite connection will pay the same price for their package"

So does this mean adding the ISP cost on top, not going to make much sense.

Swa

Honorary Master
LOL, ISPs are looking for a discount from Dstv, which they won't give. Dstv is looking for a discount from ISPs, which they are unlikely to give. Somehow I think we won't be getting this and it will simply be another case of "add ***** to your Dstv bill"

sdikgetsi

Whats going on here? Its adapt or die. Streaming services decimated DTSV and they want to join the party. Pity there will be no value for money. IPTV is the way to go. 9000+ channels. Will distv match that witrh its repeats?

Gudnews

This and the ultra HD offering has further exposed how out of touch their pricing is for the premium package.

Thor

Honorary Master
No thanks. DSTV offers nothing, I can't get from Netflix at a fraction of the price. Sport I watch in the mall if the bokke speels NZ

Swa

Honorary Master
Whats going on here? Its adapt or die. Streaming services decimated DTSV and they want to join the party. Pity there will be no value for money. IPTV is the way to go. 9000+ channels. Will distv match that witrh its repeats?
9000 channels? IPTV doesn't have channels.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
"DStv has noted that its standalone streaming service will be priced identically to its satellite packages"

Umm.. no thanks
It's designed for people who can't see space?

TBH I'm not sure why anyone would subscribe to this rather than the satellite service?

milomak

Honorary Master
You SURE of that?
yep

6dxPZuX.png

though if i am going to watch something, i normally go with the source broadcaster

Last edited:

greg0205

Honorary Master
You SURE of that?
You want I should post pics of DStv and Supersport channels running alongside BBC, or SKY, or ABC, or NBC, or Fox, or HBO, or, or or...

Not sure if my EPG channel naming conventions are the same, and there's no program info, but it looks like some of the DStv options right now include:

James Corden, Kill Bill, something called Wild Earth, Scent of a Woman, there's a show on with the dude from The Affair, and I have no idea what I'm watching on Premier but it has Jordana Brewster in it :love:

The SS channels mainly have football on right now.

greg0205

Honorary Master
yep

6dxPZuX.png

though if i am going to watch something, i normally go with the source broadcaster
Football fan myself, and I'm at the point where I'm picking if I want to listen to Martin Tyler (SKY and never), Arlo White (NBCSN always good), or Peter Drury (beIN and the correct answer).