DStv's big Netflix deal is here - What it means for South Africans

Nyt Ryda

R2499 for the Explora Ultra while the Explora 3 costs R999 (well, actually R699 at Takealot and Makro this week on special).

Multichoice are crazy, so overpriced.

Petec

Expert Member
Just like Telkom in the past, right now Multichoice can own SA.
All they have to do is lower their Premium package price and include Netflix for free.
But no, they are long term short sighted, and when they finally are no longer relevant, they will scratch their heads and wonder how this happened.

Ryansr

Expert Member
“We are still competitors” :ROFL:
Wow, it's laughable that DSTV still think that their current and same old strategy makes them "competitive". Competitive with high prices, yes! They seem to still bleed customers atm, but maybe a future Government bailout is on the cards! LOL!

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
the ability to add your Netflix subscription cost to your DStv bill
wow, so like, when you get raped you have the option to pay for lube and a condom to make the experience a bit more bearable?

why in the name of sweet zombie jesus would I want to pay for a POS service plus add on cost for a better service if I can get the latter directly?!?!

Jase

Executive Member
I am curious, does the Netflix app on this DSTV decoder allow access to ALL the content (edit: That MC has rights on) or will it just be Netflix SA content (Seeing as we are geoblocked due to MC owning the rights to a lot of content)?

j4ck455

Executive Member
R2499 for the Explora Ultra while the Explora 3 costs R999 (well, actually R699 at Takealot and Makro this week on special).

If you look carefully at MonoChoice's logo, you should see multicoloured blades used to spyker anyone insane enough to fall for their crap.

That price is probably MonoChoice's dark November discount price, it will probably be further inflated like a blow-up doll.

DStv launched its new Explora Ultra decoder on Thursday 12 November, which includes a built-in Netflix app and the ability to add your Netflix subscription cost to your DStv bill.
Just what everyone needs, a new DSTV billing nightmare, this time with all your streaming subscriptions screwed up.

Yuu

Executive Member
I hate to say it guys but DSTV/Monochoice are onto something here. They are not targeting the likes of you and me but those that want "convenience" , go tell an elderly neighbour to logon on to netflix.com and signup, add credit card deets etc. It sounds like too much effort. Tell them they can upgrade their "old" DSTV decoder and at a touch add it to their bill and you see where i am going with this.

This is exactly the scenario customers for a large Telecoms in the US does to their customers. They add HBO Max/StarZ/Showtime onto their bills not realising they can cut their CABLE tv and opt to pay for these without going directly through their internet provider but it is convenient. You first get lured with free 30 days. I wonder if customers will get the first month free through MC or they have to signup?

My question is though, what is the specifications on this device? Does it have wireless N/AC/AX? Does it have gigabit lan? I think in terms of content, MC has no control what Netflix can show via third party. It will be the exact same SA catalogue. I have yet to read that there is a custom catalogue through a third party provider for Netflix and the like.

I agree as said above, using a smart tv/device seems like the logical choice however this is SA. We still have many who would just go the route their satellite provider makes them believe is the right one.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member

R2500 for something that is just an Explora with access to geolocked Netflix - and if you no longer subscribe to DSTV will the Explora still do Netflix?

Or

R1000 for an Exlopra (that can only do DSTV) and R1000 for a Pi or one of the many Android boxes (that come with built in LAN and wifi not an add on) that can do geoUnlocked Netflix plus a hundred other things, including VPN and YouTube. AND you are not locked into paying DSTV every month.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

What did the Explora cost initially? I recall R1999...