DStv's plan to be the one-stop video entertainment shop for South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
DStv's one-stop-shop plan with Netflix

MultiChoice is creating a unified streaming platform that will make DStv a one-stop-shop for all video entertainment, including Netflix.

Over the last year, MultiChoice added Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and YouTube to its DStv Explora Ultra.

The Explora Ultra initially only supported Netflix as a third-party streaming service, alongside MultiChoice’s own Showmax and Box Office services.

This is only the beginning, said MultiChoice CEO Calvo Mawela.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Lol... people with a DSTV subscription, can most certainly afford a TV with Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and even DSTV built in.
Don't know why they would think people are gonna buy a new decoder with terrible UI / UX and hope to convert them to use their decoder instead of the built in optimised apps.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
“We are positioning ourselves as a super-aggregator where we add all other streaming providers to our platform,” he said.
Lol what platform is that? One ugly, huge and expensive decoder without any voice control?

This is only the beginning, said MultiChoice CEO Calvo Mawela.
It's the beginning of the end. Time to face the facts.

Afon Kulikov

Forging
iu

Nereus77

Let me get this straight.... They want us to use their decoder for streaming instead of the apps that are built into people's smart TVs?

But the catch is people stream instead of getting expensive DSTV. I predict very few will stream via the decoder.

zoozi

Expert Member
You guys keep laughing, my mom just bought one. It's pretty much the same old DSTV UI, with a new "Apps" screen with big buttons for each apps. Pretty meh but the apps themselves work well enough, it's convenient if you're still married to multipoo and have a basic Hisense like she does. On the other side, my old man ditched DSTV Premium a year ago and just watches youtube/netflix now.

Vorastra

Executive Member
Lol... people with a DSTV subscription, can most certainly afford a TV with Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and even DSTV built in.
Yup. We, and I assume a lot on this forum, have a TV, or a smart dongle, that does. Zero reason to have that decoder.

mjzar

You guys keep laughing, my mom just bought one. It's pretty much the same old DSTV UI, with a new "Apps" screen with big buttons for each apps. Pretty meh but the apps themselves work well enough, it's convenient if you're still married to multipoo and have a basic Hisense like she does. On the other side, my old man ditched DSTV Premium a year ago and just watches youtube/netflix now.
Yeah but you locked-in now that's the problem it doesn't function without a valid subscription.
My grandfather wanted to do the same, he's very comfortable with the DStv system, but we convinced him to get a Smart TV instead

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Yup. We, and I assume a lot on this forum, have a TV, or a smart dongle, that does. Zero reason to have that decoder.

And to put into perspective, tv's that doesn't have "smart" features are becoming increasingly harder to find.

zoozi

Expert Member
Yeah but you locked-in now that's the problem it doesn't function without a valid subscription.
My grandfather wanted to do the same, he's very comfortable with the DStv system, but we convinced him to get a Smart TV instead
Wow that's a load of crap. I was of course not consulted for this purchase :cautious:.

sdikgetsi

I have long dumped DSTv, howver still to convince my partner to join in with the times so that we can even unmount the dish outside.

Neuk_

Executive Member
We'll be sticking with our Apple TV for the main TV and Google Chromecast for the entertainment area TV for a while.

grok

Honorary Master
People that don't know any better will think this is quite neat, moi on the other hand, smirks in Multichoice CEO's general direction..

Okty

Expert Member
Don't know why they would think people are gonna buy a new decoder with terrible UI / UX and hope to convert them to use their decoder instead of the built in optimised apps.
Probably 'boomers', as can be seen with some of the examples given.

Also, probably people who don't have fibre/decent internet access.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Also, probably people who don't have fibre/decent internet access.

I'm very sure the extra features like Netflix, YouTube etc requires internet access to be able to use those features on the decoder anyway...

JohnMao

Executive Member
DSTV Coffee & Muffins Sessions again. They can't even get their codec to stream normal DSTV correctly and they want this? Nobody is going to buy into it.
The Competition Commission would never allow them to control all access to streaming services in RSA anyways.