DStv's plan to be the one-stop video entertainment shop for South Africa

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Right.
Multichoice can't even get Dstv Now to stream properly at 720p, not mentioning the
'an error has occurred. service unavailable at present' at least 10 times a day.

Good luck with that

Dan C

Honorary Master
Right.
Multichoice can't even get Dstv Now to stream properly at 720p, not mentioning the
'an error has occurred. service unavailable at present' at least 10 times a day.

Good luck with that

I think you misunderstand how it works.

konfab

Honorary Master
They would have some success if the add-on services were discounted. But I doubt the size of the market for SA would ever be able to justify any meaningful discount.

Monochoice only have one option for the future, and that is to succumb to their meme name and simply offer sports. They would have a killer product if you could buy a voucher to watch all the games of the RWC for X amount.

chrisc

Executive Member
The support from DSTV regarding "Now" is 0%, maybe less

Had my DSTV premium since 1995

Have been using DSTV Now on an iPad and Smart TV for 18 months
I stopped in mid April, requesting a login
That gave an error message
Spoke to clueless idiot at DSTV. He says I live in Nigeria
They will sort it out
2 weeks go by
Now they want copy of ID and proof of address - email it
2 weeks go by
It will be "escalated"
2 weeks go by
Write strong email - 8 paragraphs of it on Monday
This morning a call - "hello".... "mr chris".... About to hang up and he says "Kunene DSTV". Then the magic words "what is the wrong?"
What an appallingly dreadful bunch

Brian_G

Executive Member
Those who were on the DStv forum already thought the Ultra a joke years back, couldn't see the point. They just don't seem to understand they're not entertainment central anymore, not for ages.

Okty

Expert Member
I'm very sure the extra features like Netflix, YouTube etc requires internet access to be able to use those features on the decoder anyway...
If that's the case, then yes, it is a silly setup.

Crabby

Honorary Master
Dicks can't even stream Euro 2020 without it being a shambles.

Do people still pay for DSTV in this day and age of the interwebs?

ITbob

i'll stick to my old decoder and a media play at this point, if i could stream videos and music from my NAS on the decoder then i might consider it. until then i will stick to what i have got.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Still plenty of stupid people out there, you know the sort, the ones who shout at the TV during ruckby matches that know bugger-all about technology. This is for them. Not for those of us with knowledge of tech and the wherewithall to make it happen with a smart TV.

I know such people... family on my wife's side... will gladly spend R1000 on DSTV, but won't spend a cent on internet because they're too dumb to type google.com or use Google.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Still plenty of stupid people out there, you know the sort, the ones who shout at the TV during ruckby matches that know bugger-all about technology. This is for them. Not for those of us with knowledge of tech and the wherewithall to make it happen with a smart TV.

I know such people... family on my wife's side... will gladly spend R1000 on DSTV, but won't spend a cent on internet because they're too dumb to type google.com or use Google.
Don't need a smart tv. I have an old school 2007 Sony plasma tv with a Mi stick and it works great no matter how technological you are. Just had to replace the original remote the other day.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Don't need a smart tv. I have an old school 2007 Sony plasma tv with a Mi stick and it works great no matter how technological you are. Just had to replace the original remote the other day.
Of course I just made a quick example of how easy it is. Trust me my father-in-law, we managed to get him to use Skype once.. never again... its just too difficult. All he really understands is rugby and brandy