Dual nationality for child

newby_investor

Expert Member
So my wife is a foreign national and we'd like to have our son to have both citizenships and passports.

If I understand correctly, it should be legal and possible to do this. But I'm not sure how.

The embassy of the foreign country in question seems competent enough - but is there anything that needs to be done on the SA side of things? I know that if an adult wants to obtain a second citizenship without losing the South African one, then you need to inform Home Affairs (but how to do this exactly I'm not sure).

Has anyone done this recently? Any hints on how to go about it?

Temujin

Executive Member
First thing is SA passport. When you have that, you need a letter from SA home affairs stating you are allowed a dual citizenship. When you have that, you can apply for *insert whatever here* passport.

newby_investor

Expert Member
First thing is SA passport. When you have that, you need a letter from SA home affairs stating you are allowed a dual citizenship. When you have that, you can apply for *insert whatever here* passport.
So, how does one go about getting such a thing?

gimpex

I think it depends on the county in question. What we had to do was 1) get child's birth certificates translated into country's language 2) register the birth of the child in the country 3) apply for passport . No SA involvement needs ( as in letters from Home Affairs) etc . It was a longish process , as in 6 months or so , but we did it in a 3rd country , so not SA and not in the country in question. Best is to go to that country's consulate/embassy and speak to them about the process in person ( or via email if not in the same city ).

Temujin

Executive Member
I think it depends on the county in question. What we had to do was 1) get child's birth certificates translated into country's language 2) register the birth of the child in the country 3) apply for passport . No SA involvement needs ( as in letters from Home Affairs) etc . It was a longish process , as in 6 months or so , but we did it in a 3rd country , so not SA and not in the country in question. Best is to go to that country's consulate/embassy and speak to them about the process in person ( or via email if not in the same city ).
Sorry to break it to you, but legally you no longer hold SA citizenship. Any application for another country citizenship without permission from SA automatically voids your SA citizenship.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Sorry to break it to you, but legally you no longer hold SA citizenship. Any application for another country citizenship without permission from SA automatically voids your SA citizenship.
I would very much like to find out whether what you say is true. I've heard both opinions asserted, but what you say hasn't been backed up by anyone's experience that I've heard.

Temujin

Executive Member
I would very much like to find out whether what you say is true. I've heard both opinions asserted, but what you say hasn't been backed up by anyone's experience that I've heard.
home affairs seems offline atm with info but google around... home affairs site will tell you same thing

• When is dual citizenship not allowed for South Africans?
If a South African born citizen accepts the nationality of another country through naturalization without asking permission from the SA government first, South African citizenship is automatically lost on the day that the second nationality is granted.

South Africa does allow dual nationality for many countries (provided the country for which the South African national applies for citizenship allow dual nationality status as well). Where other countries do not allow dual nationality status, the applicant will, unfortunately, have to choose which nationality he/she wishes to hold, and if need be, renounce South African citizenship status.
https://www.traveller24.com/TravelPlanning/VisaInfo/dual-citizenship-heres-what-saffas-need-to-know-20180727

Dave

Honorary Master
Are you sure? Have you ever read the legislation?

South Africa Citizenship Act, 1995

6. Loss of citizenship
(1) Subject to the provisions of subsection (2), a South African citizen shall cease to be a South African citizen if-
(a) he or she, whilst not being a minor, by some voluntary and formal act other than marriage, acquires the citizenship or nationality of a country other than the Republic;
https://www.refworld.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rwmain?docid=3ae6b50514&page=search

Temujin

Executive Member
Keyword there being "through naturalisation" - my son is entitled to dual citizenship by birth though. If I understand correctly, it's different than if I were to move to his mom's country and apply for citizenship there, for example.
Yes, thats sounds right yes... I was thinking eg. born in sa, getting german passport

roadcat

Expert Member
My 2 kids have German passports (from their Mom), and South African passports. For both applications we stated they have citizenship of another country as well. No letter required anymore. I have a British and SA passport, never have to show the letter I got years ago.

I travel extensively. Use SA passport to leave South Africa and come back in, British passport everywhere else. Kids did the same when we went to Europe on holiday 2 years ago. No issues.

Dave

Honorary Master
Keyword there being "through naturalisation" - my son is entitled to dual citizenship by birth though. If I understand correctly, it's different than if I were to move to his mom's country and apply for citizenship there, for example.
No, the keywords are “not being a minor” it wouldn’t matter if was through naturalisation.

newby_investor

Expert Member
My 2 kids have German passports (from their Mom), and South African passports. For both applications we stated they have citizenship of another country as well. No letter required anymore. I have a British and SA passport, never have to show the letter I got years ago.

I travel extensively. Use SA passport to leave South Africa and come back in, British passport everywhere else. Kids did the same when we went to Europe on holiday 2 years ago. No issues.
Great, thanks for the input!

So there's a space to fill this in on the application form or something like that?