Dune Game - Will Funcom's upcoming Dune Survival MMO be any good?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Geez,

more than €300...

I might consider getting this, the board game,

or

the available games are summarised here,

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Funcom and MMO is a really bad combo even before you get into the IP.

I didn’t want to spoil the ‘main’ thread with the gaming topic, because the games are coming and will likely have nothing to do with the Paul.

As said in the other thread, many people liked Conan Exiles, and I don’t believe that it will serve Dune, mechanically, any good.

Anyway, this thread can be used to discuss the games, digital and tabletop.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
For people interested in the old PC games,

I am surprised to see MyAbandonware still list the games, so I guess the new right owners don't have the right to claim these properties.

For compatibility, it is usually discussed in the comment section on the website.

I actually liked the Dune game, kinda the genre I am into.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

FUNCOM EXPANDS UPCOMING DUNE GAME’S SCOPE WITH HELP FROM TENCENT​

Fans eagerly-awaiting news of Funcom’s upcoming DUNE survival MMO will be happy to know that the studio has decided to expand the game’s scope. This is largely due to Tencent’s backing when it took over the studio earlier this year.

“It was already an ambitious project when we first announced it last year, but the scope has expanded further during pre-production,” said Funcom CEO Rui Casais in his annual holiday letter to the community. “With Tencent now backing us, we are emboldened to drive forward our ambition in the multiplayer survival genre and increase the quality and scope of this game. This is the major reason for why we’ve added people to our workforce this year and for why are actively looking to expand much further in the coming year, with more than 50 positions currently open worldwide and more to come in 2021.”

Queue the Fortnite Dune skins...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This Funcom press release, dated Jan 22, 2020,

Press Release: Update in connection with the announcement of intent to launch voluntary offer​

The Management Board’s recommendation to the Supervisory Board will be to increase the focus on the Open World Survival segment with Games-as-a-Service business model. This recommendation is based on the fact that Conan Exiles continues to perform well, with December 2019 having been the third best month in terms of average number players on PC since Early Access launch in January 2017 and with the Company continuing to develop the game with a paid map DLC (Downloadable Content) for release this year. The performance of Conan Exiles and similar games indicates that this genre reports strong lifetime revenues. The recommendation also reflects the belief that both the Dune IP and the Survival games genre are a good match with a large long-term potential.

The Management Board is of the opinion that these factors justify a more ambitious Dune project to launch after around two years of production time. Such increased focus would require a redirection of resources from other initiatives, the most significant being the co-op shooter game, initially scheduled for release during 2020 that has been impacted by scope changes due to external/market pressures with increasingly strong competition and internal delays.

The Management Board believes that the scope and ambition level for the Dune game should be larger than Conan Exiles to allow the game the best possible chance of maximizing its very large potential. If these proposed changes are approved by the Supervisory Board, it is likely that the Company will need additional financing to supplement the revenue generated from current operations.

In summary, the Management Board believes delaying the abovementioned co-op shooter game until after the release of the Dune game and securing the necessary funding to support this plan will lead to the best long-term success for the Company and will bring these matters to the Supervisory Board for discussion and decision as soon as possible considering the restrictions connected to the voluntary offer by Tencent Cloud Europe B.V.

I guess Dune will be a survival MMO. DuneZ :p So, now we know that Funcom has been acquired by Tencent, they have acquired additional studios and will be strengthened by Tencent resources. The game will be a service title, and it will be monetised. Eeuw.

Make an MMO, and in the case they have to produce and publish two more titles then make a RTS and RPG/immersive sim.

Conan Exiles already used the Unreal Engine, so... two year production cycle, is it enough? I have a idea that everything will be pumped into producing MMO content than to produce two more titles.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Not a game,

Journey into the making of 'Dune' with Insight Edition's 'The Art and Soul of Dune' (exclusive)​

"Dune" executive producer Tanya Lapointe takes us on a stellar trip behind the scenes of the epic sci-fi movie.

The intricate world-building of director Denis Villeneuve's ("Arrival," "Blade Runner: 2049") sprawling sci-fi epic "Dune" is still impressing audiences entering its second month in theaters worldwide. With visionary source material from Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Frank Herbert's seminal 1965 novel of the far future, it’s not surprising that the new film offers up the most impressive visuals of the year.

Now a new companion coffee-table book from Insight Editions exposes the creative endeavor behind bringing Herbert's universe to the big screen. Written by "Dune's" executive producer, Tanya Lapointe, "The Art and Soul of Dune" (2021) reveals a wealth of concept art, production sketches, and rare behind-the-scenes images.

but the world-building would be totally relevant to making a Dune game. Would love to own the book. He also has a concept book on Blade Runner.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I won't mind, only but a mere rumoured,

Could a Dune game be coming from InXile? Fans certainly think so​

Are fans of the Wasteland games reading a little too much into this?

InXile fans think the Wasteland developer might be working on a game set in the world of Frank Herbert's Dune.

In a recent post on Reddit, one user's speculation pieced a number of clues together about InXile's next game, suggesting the studio could be adapting the works of Frank Herbert for a new adventure taking place in the Dune universe.

Just note that InXile isn't an independent developer any more, they belong to M$. They do, however, have the pedigree to produce an RPG.

Do expect a buggy launch...

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
I won't mind, only but a mere rumoured,

Just note that InXile isn't an independent developer any more, they belong to M$. They do, however, have the pedigree to produce an RPG.

Do expect a buggy launch...
So far InXile hasn't been all there and or great from torment II. Perhaps this is their good title they bring out?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So far InXile hasn't been all there and or great from torment II. Perhaps this is their good title they bring out?
Wasteland 3 is starting to shape up nicely, and with M$ money they might deliver something great. Time will tell...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Lost 'Dune' Video Game Is Being Revived (Minus The 'Dune' Part)​

One of the most interesting games being crowdfunded right now is set in a sand planet where big-ass machines harvest a mineral of galactic importance while avoiding enemy saboteurs and even-bigger-ass worm monsters. Yes, we're talking about Dune-- uhhh, sorry, Elland: The Crystal Wars, of course. Oh, and also, this game is for the Game Boy Advance.

$15 minimum pledge... no.