Dune Game - Will Funcom's upcoming Dune Survival MMO be any good?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
What?

In production by the people who made Northgard, which is a good'ish, game, but I don't see this gel...

It is 4X though, though they say real-time with 4X elements. Come on, spin me another one. I can only hope that this will be good. Up my alley, but... a game like this needs RTS experience.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The discussion board...

Topic:

It isn't an RTS

It's annoying that so many things are called RTS these days. It's a grand strategy.
Northguard has no base building and the screenshots for this shows there is no base building in this one.

Dev replies:

We wouldn't label it an RTS if there weren't significant RTS traits, systems and features prominent within the game. We're sure the game will be equally enjoyable for RTS players as it is for 4X fans.

We'll have some gameplay to share with you all very soon, bear with us.

Don't be like CDPR, drop the RTS, and call it what it is.

Corrected URL.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Okay, so we know that Funcom is producing three Dune games,

1) Conan Exiles clone
2) Northgard clone
3) ?

Would like to see an RPG/adventure game as the third.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Four sides, two are made known, 1) House Atreides and 2) House Harkonnen, so I can only guess that the other two will be the Fremen and House Corrino (which might even be labelled Sardaukar). I know Northgard and their DLC usually include new sides, so... I doubt House Ordos will make a comeback since well they aren't canon and would hence not be able to be licensed or used in this IP.

I will buy this game without a doubt, but I expected more. Shiro has to produce a big small title. I hope that it will be good.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
What?

In production by the people who made Northgard, which is a good'ish, game, but I don't see this gel...

It is 4X though, though they say real-time with 4X elements. Come on, spin me another one. I can only hope that this will be good. Up my alley, but... a game like this needs RTS experience.
Do we really need yet another dune rts?

Reavs

I've been playing it for just over 2 hours now. Not bad for an EA title. The best comparison I have is Stellaris with the sector scanning and expansion.

Last edited:

animal531

Expert Member
They're facing some competition with GalCiv 4 just launching though...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am holding back on this game and will see how it simmers in early access. The views are mixed, and knowing the developer they will ‘patch’ their game with DLC, but I guess it will depend on the publisher.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
I am holding back on this game and will see how it simmers in early access. The views are mixed, and knowing the developer they will ‘patch’ their game with DLC, but I guess it will depend on the publisher.
If Funcom doesn't abandon it looking at heir track record of broken, but eventually fixed titles. Still, an RTS from Funcom... lol?

Reavs

If they follow the same route as Northgard then they will probably add more houses with dlcs. I'm guessing they went with Funcom as the publisher to get access to the Dune IP.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
If they follow the same route as Northgard then they will probably add more houses with dlcs. I'm guessing they went with Funcom as the publisher to get access to the Dune IP.

Funcom was awarded the rights to produce and publish 3 Dune games under the rights owned by Legendary Entertainment. Funcom appointed Shiro Games to produce Dune: Spice Wars, and is co-published. It is also alleged that Funcom met with inXile Entertainment (owned by MS) so an RPG could also be on the table. I am sure Funcom will make a Conan Exiles clone to milk the IP.

I don't know how much say Legendary Entertainment has in all this.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
If Funcom doesn't abandon it looking at heir track record of broken, but eventually fixed titles. Still, an RTS from Funcom... lol?

Funcom has gone on a developer shopping spree during the pandemic times, and also expanded into new territories. They, themselves, haven't produced a new game in some time, and their last two titles were cancelled. No announcements since then, and only one new game have been produced by a studio under their label. It was odd to see them being rewarded with the rights to produce and publish Dune games.

Spice Wars is still in early access, which could be good. I will buy it in time, but I don’t want to play an early access game now, already spent too much time in Cyberpunk 2077. Shiro Games is not a bad developer, and I liked Northgard, but Funcom worked with Petroglyph… Oh, well.

I will see how Spice Wars shape up, could turn out good.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So, I purchased Dune: Spice Wars. My initial expressions are good, but it is VERY unbalanced. Early days, and it needs more content and game modes. Though the game doesn’t have multiplayer at this time, which will come later, it is seemingly designed with multiplayer in mind, hence I can only hope that the campaign adds purchasing value.

It has potential... The question is whether they will bake it longer?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Dune: Spice Wars is getting a roadmap, ugh. Yes, I get it some people love road maps, but it sets expectations, where some are never met.

Anyhow, I really like this game, and it has so much potential. Superb work put into this and keeping it utmost original. To be honest, it is a hybrid'ish game, and saying this I would recommend it over Civilization and those attempting to clone Civilization. Still early access.