Durban advocate who stole a bar fridge, kettle, vase, and two lamps convicted for theft

ponder

Honorary Master

DURBAN: A Durban advocate, who helped himself to appliances from the hotel room he was staying at, has been sentenced to a fine of R10 000 or 10 months imprisonment – wholly suspended for five years.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Definitely passes the 'fit and proper person' requirement to be allowed onto the roll:
The determination of a fit and proper person is done through a pre-admission screening process consisting of an interview, which usually takes only 15 minutes. The main objective of the interview is to determine if the candidate is a fit and proper person for the profession; the assessor uses his or her discretion to decide this, and makes a subjective value judgement in order to arrive at a decision.

While legislation does not describe or define what a fit and proper person is, there have been useful albeit limited discussions of the definition in case law. In General Council of the Bar of South Africa v Jiba and others 2017, Judge Legodi described a fit and proper person as someone possessing integrity, objectivity, dignity, capacity for hard work, respect for legal order and a sense of equality or fairness.

Cray

Honorary Master
Too early. The Magistrates Court has no such jurisdiction. The local Bar Association will probably bring an action to the High Court to have him struck off the roll.
We can only hope..

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Too early. The Magistrates Court has no such jurisdiction. The local Bar Association will probably bring an action to the High Court to have him struck off the roll.

Given their glacial pace, we can maybe expect some sort of action in about 25 years, just before this fscker retires.

Reactions: ES1

Tman543

DURBAN: A Durban advocate, who helped himself to appliances from the hotel room he was staying at, has been sentenced to a fine of R10 000 or 10 months imprisonment – wholly suspended for five years.
lol what crooks we have in the justice system. The legal fraternity is a circus, majority of them in it for the money and wouldn't blink twice at being skelm like this

R13...

Honorary Master
Anyone know what hotel that was? How did staff not notice a guy wrestling a fridge from his room to car? Unless it is one of those with detached buildings where you can go to your room without going through common areas. The magistrates commission or NPA should have him fired for mental incapacity because I am not sure what other than being retarded could explain his behaviour.

mojoman

Expert Member
Lol...Years ago I used to be in the conference industry...we did a week long conference for a large municipal group...who stole as much as they could from the fancy hotel we had booked them into....bibles...hairdryers...gowns...towels....linen...cutlery...crockery....you name it and it was missing...Pain in my ass as our commission was held back because of this...

R13...

Honorary Master
Lol...Years ago I used to be in the conference industry...we did a week long conference for a large municipal group...who stole as much as they could from the fancy hotel we had booked them into....bibles...hairdryers...gowns...towels....linen...cutlery...crockery....you name it and it was missing...Pain in my ass as our commission was held back because of this...
Did you charge them for the items?

mojoman

Expert Member
Did you charge them for the items?
We managed to 'recover' a lot of the knicked stuff (the CEO had words with the group) and the municipality and the hotel came to a financial arrangement on the rest...Eventually I got my comm as well....

FaSMaN

Expert Member
R15-30K a month and cant afford a kettle, vase, two lamps, a minifridge and some snacks?

What is this country becoming, people are stealing for the sake of stealing....

1630391815834.png