Durban water woes continue....

For other necessities. Drinking water I can get.
When I lived in Glen Park where the old water pipes keep bursting, I installed a 2000l jojo with booster pump to feed the house. Once that was done, we didn't even notice anymore.

I'm in UGU. It was the same story here. Exactly how it started. Big turn-around promises and lekker tanker tenders.

Then one day an alert citizen posted photos of the whole tanker fleet being filled via sabotaged mains.

It's planned. It's a money racket.

Soon you guys too will pay 3k to fill your JoJo's or be without water for 3 weeks at a time (because your valves are closed).

Has to make one wonder about all that grovelling in the past about trivial things like basic human rights.

Sigh, middle of the month time, been dry for three days now.

First main pumps tripped

Good evening
Water update
Moseley/Northdene
16/05/2024
17:30
The Durban Heights treatment works pump tripped earlier today and thus affected Northdene resevior levels.
Lucky this was picked up quickly, and Firwood reservoir has not suffered too badly.
The Firwood reservoir is at 2.7m, and water is pumping from Northdene.
This should be able to recover tonight to get water restored to your taps.
Kind regards,
Cllr Chris van den Berg

Next day water stopped on the southern Aqueduct which drained everything again

Good morning
Water update
17/05/2024
12:25
Moseley/Northdene
Unfortunately the southern aqueduct has crashed. The Northdene reseviors are now empty.
No water is running to Firwood and the rest of the other reseviors.
I have requested water tankers for today, and I am waiting for an allocation this afternoon.
Kind regards,
Cllr Chris van den Berg

Those recovered last night but many still with nothing and waiting

Good morning
Water update
18/05/2024
08:10
Northdene/Moseley
Initial signs are that the Firwood reservoir has started to recover during the course of last night.
If all goes well, the higher lying areas could receive water at the earliest tomorrow morning.
I have requested that the water department do a dip test to confirm levels as the telemetry readings seemed to be incorrect yesterday. This will likely only be done late this morning.
There are still many areas without water along the southern aqueduct.
Kind regards,
Cllr Chris van den Berg

- 11 Days ( 20 Nov 2023 - 1 Dec 2023 )
- 7 Days ( 22 Jan 2024 to 26 Jan 2024 and 30 Jan 2024 to 31 Jan 2024 )
- 9 Days ( 19 Feb 2024 - 27 Feb 2024 )
- 11 Days ( 18 March - 29 March )
- 9 days ( 9 -11 April, 14 April to 21 April)
- 6 days ongoing ( 3 May to 6 May , 16 May ....
)

Can't read the article as its paywalled but...

He means the cistern is empty so air would flow from the mains to the cisterns. I fill mine with pool water but not every flush. A lot of folks shut their mains because of it.
Yes, the cistern wouldn't be empty if you didn't flush the toilet.

Have you ever tried to remember NOT to flush after going to the loo? It's a hell of a reflex.

Especially with kids raised to do so too.
Lol! Its practically impossible. :ROFL: Which is why you turn the tap off.

Have you ever tried to remember NOT to flush after going to the loo? It's a hell of a reflex.

Especially with kids raised to do so too.
It's been almost as difficult trying to teach the kids to start flushing the toilet again once the drought "ended" here in PE.

It's been almost as difficult trying to teach the kids to start flushing the toilet again once the drought "ended" here in PE.
Oh thats a common one.

"But Dad you said Don't Flush"
"Yes, when we had no water"
"But that was last week, you confusing us, just keep the water flowing"

As young as my boys are, they asking questions about the elections and we losely educating them but thier response is, "we'll vote for whomever stops the loadsheding and no water".

Oh thats a common one.

"But Dad you said Don't Flush"
"Yes, when we had no water"
"But that was last week, you confusing us, just keep the water flowing"

As young as my boys are, they asking questions about the elections and we losely educating them but thier response is, "we'll vote for whomever stops the loadsheding and no water".
Yeah - it was my fault. Our area of PE was never likely to be truely affected by the drought but I figured let's do our bit and conserve water, even when we were running off our rainwater tanks.

Fortunately they took the if it's brown, flush it down part of the message to heart.

Sigh, middle of the month time, been dry for three days now.

First main pumps tripped

Next day water stopped on the southern Aqueduct which drained everything again

Those recovered last night but many still with nothing and waiting

- 11 Days ( 20 Nov 2023 - 1 Dec 2023 )
- 6 days ongoing ( 3 May to 6 May , 16 May ....
)

Can't read the article as its paywalled but...

Where do you get these updates from?

Water has been off in Shallcross since Saturday morning.

Where do you get these updates from?

Water has been off in Shallcross since Saturday morning.
That's because you guys have three severe breaks in your pipe at the moment, that came through yesterday.

Good afternoon
Ward 71 water outage

I have spoken to the area manager for the water department. He has confirmed that there are 2 burst pipes betweent northdene and shallcross.
No eta is given for repairs. Teams are on the to repair the pipes

Kind regards
Cllr Fatima Ismail
Ward 71
*Water update*

Puran and I are at the site. There are three leaks on the trunkline... not two as previously discovered. Two are major burst and 1 is a minor leak.

The team is preparing the fabrications to start welding on the the truckline.

The problem is located in the bush. Access to the three points is a challenge.

The actual repair has not started.These repairs are going to take quite a few hours. It will take a further two hours to charge the line after repairs are complete and another 2 hours for water to enter the reservoirs in Shallcross and Moorton.

*Suran Gounden*
*Vice-chairman*
*Chatsworth & District Civic Federation*
*18/05/2024*
*16h00*

We actually had water return overnight, likely because of the increased flow from Shalcross being shut for repairs .

This morning regarding Shalcross and the pump station.

ETHEKWINI NEWSFLASH
PUBLIC NOTICE
19 MAY 2024

INTERRUPTION OF WATER SUPPLY FROM THE NORTHDENE 3 WATER PUMPSTATION

Repairs on two bursts on the pumping main (pipe) from the Northdene 3 Water Pumpstation to the Shallcross and Chatsworth 4 reservoirs are underway.

While repair work is underway, areas supplied through the Northdene 3 to downstream dependent reservoirs will experience interruption of water supply.

The repairs are anticipated to be completed by this evening,Sunday ,19 May.

Once the repairs are complete, the process of reservoir recovery will then commence with some reservoirs recovering sooner than others. High level zones or tower zones will take longer for recovery.

The recovery process could take 3 to 5 days after the completion of the repairs.

Affected areas include:
• Shallcross Reservoir: Buffels Bosch, Burlington Heights, Savanah Park, and Shallcross.

• Klaarwater Reservoir: Crossmoor, Klaarwater, Savannah Park, Shallcross, and St Wendolins Ridge.

• Chatsworth 4 Reservoir: Arena Park, Buffels Bosch, Chatsworth Town Centre, Crossmoor, Ehlanzeni, Klaarwater, Kwamgaga, Montford, Moorton, Risecliff, Welbedagt East and West, Westcliff, and Woodhurst.

• Washington Heights: Mariannheights, Mariann Industrial Park, Nsiswakazi, Phumphele, Savannah Park, St Wendolins Ridge, and Umshinini.

• Intake Reservoir: Ezinyathini, Klaarwater, Luganda, Nagina, Nsiswakazi, Pineview, Regency Park,Sithundu Hills, and Welbedagt West.

* Firwood Reservoir High Level Zone: Malvern, Queensburgh, Northdene, Shallcross and Moseley Park.

The Municipality apologises for any inconvenience caused.

For more information regarding water supply, the public can download eThekwini Municipality’s Mobile App to log faults or send a WhatsApp to 073 1483 477. Alternatively, call our toll-free number on 080 311 1111 or email [email protected]

ENDS

Issued by eThekwini Municipality Communications Unit.

Regarding the updates, I try run a group in our community with updates from various sources but you should be able to get yours from the local councilor like the above. Ethekwhenis and Umngeni water are via their socials but they don't like to often broadcast issues.

That's because you guys have three severe breaks in your pipe at the moment, that came through yesterday.

We actually had water return overnight, likely because of the increased flow from Shalcross being shut for repairs .

This morning regarding Shalcross and the pump station.

Regarding the updates, I try run a group in our community with updates from various sources but you should be able to get yours from the local councilor like the above. Ethekwhenis and Umngeni water are via their socials but they don't like to often broadcast issues.

We got no water in Moseley from Fri night. Some residents are invalid and others are not very healthy.

I had to spend a lot of money on diesel to get my trucks from Musgrave to deliver water to the elderly and people with kids in our street.

FFS, they do not even send water tankers to our area like they used to. Nobody wants a toilet full of shyte or not able to take a bath for 2 days.

We got no water in Moseley from Fri night. Some residents are invalid and others are not very healthy.

I had to spend a lot of money on diesel to get my trucks from Musgrave to deliver water to the elderly and people with kids in our street.

FFS, they do not even send water tankers to our area like they used to. Nobody wants a toilet full of shyte or not able to take a bath for 2 days.
That's not true. Moseley Queensburgh? I know for a fact we had two tankers yesterday and one Friday.

That's not true. Moseley Queensburgh? I know for a fact we had two tankers yesterday and one Friday.
And now two today.

Good morning
Water tanker update
19/05/2024
11:20
There is a water tanker at
Clatex Moseley
And
BP Northden
They will leave at
12:00
Kind regards,
Cllr Chris van den Berg

Sigh.

Watervissues on 27th caught quickly and now no water some 9pm election day.

Good afternoon
Tanker Update
Moseley/Northdene
30/05/2024
16:25
I am still waiting for an allocation of a water tanker.
(What this means is that I constantly contact the water department asking about the tanker)

Water update
The Southern Aqueduct is still having an issue with water flow, so all the reseviors on this water line are low.
There was also an issue with one of the two booster pumps at Northdene coming to Firwood today wich has now been resolved.
This was an electrical issue.
This has lead to the levels at Firwood reservoir dropping during the cause of the day.
I have requested levels, and I am waiting for a response. The water department have said that they are doing whatever they can to speed up the recovery of Firwood reservoir levels.
Kind Regards,
Cllr Chris van den Berg

11 Days ( 20 Nov 2023 - 1 Dec 2023 )
- 10 days ( 3 May to 6 May , 16 May 18th May, 27th May, 29th May ....
)

Back