Durban widow homeless after being scammed by an estate agent

schumi

Honorary Master
Durban - A Durban widow believed, with help of an estate agent from a well-reputed agency, she would land a dream home at an upmarket gated estate near family and perfect for her arthritis condition.

But 72-year-old Pathmavathi Moodley’s dream was shattered, and is left financially ruined with no home.

That’s because Martha O’Reilly, the estate agent who was to make the deal happen, allegedly helped herself to R2.1 million from the woman’s bank account without providing a house.

O’Reilly, who was an agent with Tyson Properties when she had Moodley salivating over a R3m unit at the Kindlewood Estate in Mount Edgecombe, north of Durban, appeared at Durban Magistrate’s Court this week. She has been charged with 57 counts of fraud, all related to the R2 091 214 she allegedly swiped from Moodley.

The pensioner could only afford half the asking price of the unit and when that deal fell through, O’Reilly allegedly promised to get something as nice, and talked Moodley into depositing money into an attorney’s trust account for that purpose.
Moodley trusted O’Reilly and made ATM transfers on 10 occasions, in the presence of O’Reilly. But when she suspected O’Reilly was stringing her along, she asked police to investigate.

Their investigations have since revealed that the so-called attorney’s trust account belonged to O’Reilly, and that not 10, but 57 cash transfers ranging from R148 000 to R2 500 were received from Moodley’s bank account between July 2016 and April 2017.

More at : https://www.iol.co.za/sunday-tribun...te-agent-feb135e2-6d2c-4935-9a51-b03977641275

Gozado

From that article:
Heather Sudding, Tyson Properties administrator, said: “It is with deep regret that we were made aware of the alleged fraudulent acts of Marti O'Reilly, when it was too late to intervene as she had left the company.”
That seems to imply that Tyson has no liability, now, for what their agent did while still with them. Really?

schumi

Honorary Master

Estate agent pleads guilty to fraud after scamming elderly woman out of more than R2m​

Durban - An estate agent, who preyed on an elderly woman’s vulnerability and need to find a suitable home, pleaded guilty to 58 counts of fraud which related to scamming the unsuspecting client into parting with more than R2.1-million, but delivered no house in return.

Martha O’reilly, who worked for Tyson Properties, convinced Pathmavathi Moodley, 74, that she would find an affordable home for her, but enriched herself instead. O’reilly was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment on Friday.

Magistrate Fariedha Mohamed, who presided over the matter at the Durban Regional Court, suspended three years of the sentence for a period of five years, provided O’reilly did not commit the same crime during the suspension period.

Moodley called Tyson Properties when she saw an advert in a house magazine, and was put through to O’reilly. While the initial home that O’reilly pointed Moodley to on a Mount Edgecombe gated estate appealed to her, the R3m asking price was out of her range.

O’reilly then promised to find Moodley of Reservoir Hills something affordable.

In doing so, she got Moodley to deposit money into an attorney’s trust account so that funds would be available to land the right buy.

Deposits were made on 58 occasions into the so-called attorney’s account but police investigations revealed it belonged to O’reilly.

The first deposit was in July 2016 and by the time the last deposit was made nearly nine months later,

O’reilly had siphoned R2 129 214 from Moodley’s bank account.

O’reilly is already serving a 5-year sentence in Johannesburg after she was convicted on four counts of fraud, dating to 2013, where she used the same modus operandi to swindle more than R300 000 from clients. She was sentenced in September on those charges.

Magistrate Mohamed did not accede to attorney SW van der Merwe’s (who represented O’reilly) request to have both sentences run concurrently during Friday’s proceedings.

More at: https://www.iol.co.za/sunday-tribun...han-r2m--20fdac01-f264-49cc-9e48-61fa6d4fa7c1

neoprema

Expert Member
My experience with Estate Agents, and I lump Estate Management Agents and Rental Agents in this too - is that they're a bunch of CYA people who actually do little in the way of service other than just adding personal faces to Propert24 and spamming you with calls. The moment anything hits the fan they're gone and have a plethora of documents to prove they're liable for nothing.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
The anc are doing the same to the people of the country but not much is happening to them............ cadres

supersunbird

Honorary Master
O’reilly needs some facial re-arrangement with a fist (and don't come GBV me, the same would be said by me if it was a guy).

On a side note, this again shows a possible benefit of a retirement annuity (and subsequent living/life annuity). No one (except the ANC possibly) can scam you out of any (if RA)/more than a third (if LA) of your money with their Sharemax or MTI or fake attorney trust account or whatever other stories.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
A suspended sentence for stealing a shitload of money.

In this case, the crime did actually pay.

A 10 years sentence, of which 3 years were suspended for 5 years.

To misquote Lyle Langley (@Rouxenator):
Some of the comments on the internet are a bit like a donkey with a spinning wheel, no one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it.

Last edited:

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
A 10 years sentence, of which 3 years where suspended for 5 years.

To misquote Lyle Langley (@Rouxenator):
Some of the comments on the internet are a bit like a donkey with a spinning wheel, no one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it.
To accurately quote The_Donkey, you need to work on your grammar before trying to insult someone on the internet. It's "were".

And you also need a comma between "it" and "and". Please use Google more optimally to learn how words are spelled and how punctuation works.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
To accurately quote The_Donkey, you need to work on your grammar before trying to insult someone on the internet. It's "were".

And you also need a comma between "it" and "and". Please use Google more optimally to learn how words are spelled and how punctuation works.

No, to accurately quote you just requires clicking on Reply. I do believe though that, as some say, attack is the best form of defense, so I like your style, no attempt to defend your non reading of article, just attack, good job.

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
No, to accurately quote you just requires clicking on Reply. I do believe though that, as some say, attack is the best form of defense, so I like your style, no attempt to defend your non reading of article, just attack, good job.
It was pretty obvious that I did not read the article, but skimmed through it. There's no way I would lie, or, per se, try and defend that.

Again, you need to read up on punctuation. There are more mistakes in your post, but I'll leave you to figure that out.

Good luck :thumbsup:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
It was pretty obvious that I did not read the article, but skimmed through it. There's no way I would lie, or, per se, try and defend that.

Again, you need to read up on punctuation. There are more mistakes in your post, but I'll leave you to figure that out.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Have a good evening snuggling with your dragon, sir :thumbsup:.