Dutch cannabis smoker fined - for using tobacco

Alan

Honorary Master
While the Netherlands has kept its liberal policy on the smoking of cannabis in the country's legendary "coffee shops", zero tolerance is now shown to tobacco smokers in Dutch cafes and restaurants after a smoking came ban came into force last July.

An Amsterdam police spokesman admitted that it could be difficult to understand the current Dutch policy of allowing smokers to puff away on pure cannabis while fining tobacco users.

"For logic it is sometimes impossible to explain, even to the Dutch," he said.

"The man was not fined for smoking a cannabis joint but for smoking. You can smoke cannabis but not tobacco in coffee shops."

The unnamed 27-year-old man owns one of the city's coffee shops, where the purchase and smoking of cannabis is tolerated, and he is expected to contest the case in court.

It will be the first test of a Dutch smoking ban that exempts people from enjoying joints as long as only pure marijuana is used.

The man was caught lighting a hand rolled cannabis joint during a routine police check and fined because officers found tobacco mixed with the soft drug.

The smoking ban is usually enforced by municipal health and safety inspectors "but if a police officer signals an infringement, he does not close his eyes to it," said the police spokesman.

A fifth of Dutch cafes and bars are ignoring the tobacco smoking ban, which was introduced on July 1. Many are setting up special funds to collect money to pay fines issued to smokers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/3073806/Dutch-cannabis-smoker-fined---for-using-tobacco.html

DDV TECH

Expert Member
Here is a problem, do I win some gear? “restaurants after a smoking came ban came into force last July.”

P

Picard

Europeans in general and the Dutch specifically, irritates me ... because of stupid sht like this.

DDV TECH

Expert Member
It really doesn't make sense they allow weed but not smokes they just as bad as each other.
As I understand it the “good stuff” does not contain any tar, I don’t know about the nicotine content? AFAIK tobacco is linked to cancer and weed is not? :confused:

thedutchman

Expert Member
Europeans in general and the Dutch specifically, irritates me ... because of stupid sht like this.
thats nice of you to say :mad:

half of the dutch population smokes, but not a quarter of that smoke weed, so banning smoking in public places like restaurants, cafes and government buildings like railway stations and airports is the way to go. No stompies on the ground and no bad smells. I wish it could happen here aswell. I really got used to it when i was there a few monts ago.

Natasha H

Expert Member
I’m European, I could use the toilets in the good ol days……. :D
My gran (mothers side) was italian.. And my dad and his family grew up in holland.. Yet I have not been to either country! :confused:

Apparently Europe is not that great.. excl Switzerland.

DDV TECH

Expert Member
My gran (mothers side) was italian.. And my dad and his family grew up in holland.. Yet I have not been to either country! :confused:

Apparently Europe is not that great.. excl Switzerland.
My father was born in Bloemfontein, and I have been to Parys, does that count?