DVB-T2 chosen as South Africa's digital TV broadcasting standard

dbnnet

We should all be pleased and relieved that Nyanda was fired from cabinet - Had he stayed, he indeed would have gone ahead with the Brazilian solution and SA would have landed up with an untested technological dinosaur!

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Obviously the Japs and the Brazilians couldn't come up with a big enough kickback. Unfortunately this is how policy is decided these days in government.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Actually it is quite surprising, and hugely relieving.

I guess it depends on perspective. The policy and regulations already accepted were for DVB, the agreement we signed with the ITU favours DVB, we already have a significant investment in DVB-T and DVB-T2 technology in South Africa... This all points to DVB-T/T2 being the only sane choice for South Africa.

There's no accounting for insanity, of course.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
so who do we owe the thanks to for pulling this thing back into line?

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
I guess it depends on perspective. The policy and regulations already accepted were for DVB, the agreement we signed with the ITU favours DVB, we already have a significant investment in DVB-T and DVB-T2 technology in South Africa... This all points to DVB-T/T2 being the only sane choice for South Africa.

There's no accounting for insanity, of course.

I am aware of all this. However, given the rumours of pockets to be lined through any number of clandestine operations were we to do a 180 & go ISDB-T instead, I fully expected the powers that be to come up with some fantastical reason why past decisions should be ignored... I'm happy to be wrong in this instance.

cristian

Maybe we should thank president Zuma!

But another thing that made a difference was that isdb-t field test, which took place in south Africa, were a big failure, with scaring interference over analog signals. Like many used to say, adapting a 6 mhz standard into an 8 mhz standard not always works! In this case, it didn´t!

Polymathic

Honorary Master
OK so when is roll out going to start? and will my bravia ex400 pick up the dvv-t2 signal

dj_jyno

Expert Member
OK so when is roll out going to start? and will my bravia ex400 pick up the dvv-t2 signal
I don't think it will :(

I'm speaking under correction, but isn't the EX400 only equipped with a DVB-T tuner?

markings

Expert Member
There may be a confluence of reasons. The ITU recommended DVB-T as the standard for South Africa, which has become a fully fledged member of the ITU a few weeks ago. SA has also become a temporary member of the UN security council again. The previous 2 years of membership in that body are not perceived as a success because of SA's off-beat stance.

To spurn the ITU recommendation would send another signal to the world that SA is just a maverick country who cannot be trusted to agree or support world opinion. By implication it would have torpedoed their effectiveness in other world bodies.