DVB-T2 chosen as South Africa's digital TV broadcasting standard

tiandup

Sorry for the stupid question but is this like the replacement for old anologue TV?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Sorry for the stupid question but is this like the replacement for old anologue TV?
Correct. Essentially a digital replacement which uses spectrum more efficiently etc. Think CD replacing LP records ;)

tiandup

Correct. Essentially a digital replacement which uses spectrum more efficiently etc. Think CD replacing LP records ;)

So I'm guesing you'll need a decoder? Isn't that a bit expensive because most people who still watch SABC on old anolouge can't afford DSTV.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
So I'm guessing you'll need a decoder? Isn't that a bit expensive because most people who still watch SABC on old analogue can't afford DSTV.
Correct, unless you buy a television set with a DVB-T2 tuner built in. The government said that the set-top boxes are not going to be that expensive... about R700 I think.

jasweb

about R700 I think.
- Hope this is influenced by the R/$/Euro exchange rate. When those numbers were "bandied about" we were at R10 to the $, now it is closer to R6.60 to the $. For the poor (i.e. government subsidised) R450 vs R700 will be huge.

Although DVB-T2 might actually be a bit more expensive (NEWER tech always is) - so perhaps it will be like most new things (ADSL, 3G) - you still pay R700 but now get the NEW toy / more gigs etc for the same price...

ponder

Honorary Master
The Brazilian version of ISDB-T did have certain advantages over DVB-T before anybody shoots it down completely.
MPEG-4 vs MPEG-2 (DVB-T2 levels the playing field)
ISDB-T has better reception with indoor antennas.
ISDB-T has better mobile support right now.
ISDB-T has a return channel allowing interactive programs.

DVB-T is a wider adopted standard though so scale of economics should work in it's favour.

Either way, I'm glad we ended up with DVB-T2

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
To hell with DVB-T and DVB-T2! We have DVB-S which is much better and cheaper.

revorushin

Am I correct in saying that DVB-T2 is just a software upgrade to DVB-T like EDGE is a software upgrade to GPRS?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Not sure if it is just a software upgrade but it is backwards compatible with the older DVB codecs (MPEG2 and MP2).
Although it makes little to no sense when you look at the awesome power of DVB-S2.

Tns

Executive Member
mmm i already have dual digital tuner box, only dvb-t :-|

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
The Brazilian version of ISDB-T did have certain advantages over DVB-T before anybody shoots it down completely.
MPEG-4 vs MPEG-2 (DVB-T2 levels the playing field)

DVB-T could be configured to work with MPEG-4, and it's my understanding that our trial broadcasts actually use MPEG-4.

ISDB-T has better reception with indoor antennas.

This I can't comment on unfortunately as I don't have enough knowledge on how the different standards propagate signals.

ISDB-T has better mobile support right now.

This I'd dispute on a technical point. DVB-T has no mobile support because that's what DVB-H is for. Part of the ISDB-T spec that was demonstrated when the Japanese delegation was here is "One-seg." Based on the information from those sessions this means that the mobile broadcasts take up spectrum that could be used for normal SD broadcasts.

ISDB-T has a return channel allowing interactive programs.

DVB-T can be configured to use this as well.

Digital TV interactivity – What does it really cost?

Digital TV: Connecting the unconnected?

DVB-T is a wider adopted standard though so scale of economics should work in it's favour.

Either way, I'm glad we ended up with DVB-T2

As am I. I'm also hoping that the promises about the economies of scale of DVB-T/T2 don't end up being meaningless in our local context. (See: Expensive STBs predicted for SA)

Am I correct in saying that DVB-T2 is just a software upgrade to DVB-T like EDGE is a software upgrade to GPRS?

Based on conversations I've overheard this is true in some cases for some base stations, but not all. It may also mean different (and possibly more expensive) STBs, apparently.

tiandup

Another stupid question but whats the standard called thats being used now over anologue? Just anologue?

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Another stupid question but whats the standard called thats being used now over anologue? Just anologue?

DVB-T2 is now being used instead of PAL-I.

Although a lot of people are already on DVB-S (Dstv, TopTV, Vivid and other Satalite services)

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
So I'm guesing you'll need a decoder? Isn't that a bit expensive because most people who still watch SABC on old anolouge can't afford DSTV.

One of the 'side-effects' of the switch will be to force everyone to get an SABC TV licence!?

Hopefully the set-top box will convert DVB to PAL, so that millions of existing analog TVs can stll be used.

I get the feeling that my old VHS video recorder needs to be 'recycled' soon...

ponder

Honorary Master
This I can't comment on unfortunately as I don't have enough knowledge on how the different standards propagate signals.

http://www.set.com.br/artigos/nab.pps

This I'd dispute on a technical point. DVB-T has no mobile support because that's what DVB-H is for. Part of the ISDB-T spec that was demonstrated when the Japanese delegation was here is "One-seg." Based on the information from those sessions this means that the mobile broadcasts take up spectrum that could be used for normal SD broadcasts.

Besides the L band does DVB-H not also use the same VHF & UHF bands as used by analog TV broadcasts?

DVB-T can be configured to use this as well.

Ta. Was not aware of that.

markings

Expert Member
One of the 'side-effects' of the switch will be to force everyone to get an SABC TV licence!?
I am sure that this is one reason the government drags its feet.
It is also the reason why they mooted the 1% tax to fund the SABC. Let the people who earn money through working pay for all the others who cannot pay or don't want to pay.

jasweb

DVB-S has been in use for 15 years now and it is much cheaper and easier to use.

Yes and No....

1) Tried watching DSTV when there is a major thunderstorm (at your house or in Randburg/Mutlichoice)?
2) Satellites are pretty much at capacity - Not cheap (or foolproof - KABOOM @ launch) for more satellites :/
3) There is NO return path (currently) from your small dish to the sattelite. DVB-T/2 might allow bi-directional services (depending on the decoders, setup etc.(