DVD RECORDER (Is LG RH-7624 the Best Model?)

DbnCpl

I've heard LG RH-7624 is the best model on the market ... must be, because the whole country is out of stock !! Anyone knows where i can get my hands on one?

Also has anyone used the LG for DV-input from a Sony Mini DV to record directly onto DVD +/-R ... does the LG this properly or should I buy the more expensive SONY DVD recorder ... price diff is about R4000 and thats just too much if i can get the LG to do the same job. Also LG has 250GB HDD whilst other models on market only have 80 - 160 GB HDD.

Where can i get the LG RH7624W from ... i need it desparatley ... Please help

Thanks.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I was desperate for one of these when they advertised them at Macro a few weeks ago @ R3699.00 - but, everywhere was out of stock ;) They checked on the computer and ALL Macros in Gauteng were out. They took my name and number, and haven't heard anything.

I phone LG and was told most the units were destined for Dions/Game anyway. I tried them, they were out of stock as well.

I've since decided against it for the simple fact I need a RGB SCART input/output. My only three (3) requirements of a DVD Recorder are :

1) RGB SCART input/output
2) DV input
3) HDD of at least 80GB

The only one I've managed to find at UNDER R6000, are the Pioneer 530 which is about R5500. I didn't even look at the Sonys because they're expensive.

DbnCpl

Thanks Dolby. Some people say that HDD size is not the only measure because some 80GB drives are better than the 250GB drives because there is better compression software running on the machines. So a 250GB HDD may well be the same as 80GB when you compare recording quality and total storage (recording time) available. Anyone else shares the same view ... why do other mnfr models dont release 250GB HDD like LG and why does LG's later models have smaller HDD ? Is there a flaw in the RH-7624 that LG are not telling us about??

Dolby

Honorary Master
I don't know about about compression etc etc

The reason I don't care about 80GB, 160GB or 250GB - is simply because I'll never personally use all the space!

WiseCrack

Expert Member
I see the AVSHOP have them for R3,999-00. Heres the link click
I have never bought from them so I cant comment on them.

rburley

Expert Member
DbnCpl said:
I've heard LG RH-7624 is the best model on the market ... must be, because the whole country is out of stock !! Anyone knows where i can get my hands on one?

Also has anyone used the LG for DV-input from a Sony Mini DV to record directly onto DVD +/-R ... does the LG this properly or should I buy the more expensive SONY DVD recorder ... price diff is about R4000 and thats just too much if i can get the LG to do the same job. Also LG has 250GB HDD whilst other models on market only have 80 - 160 GB HDD.

Where can i get the LG RH7624W from ... i need it desparatley ... Please help

Thanks.

I could probably get 1 for you. Where abouts do you stay?

Milano

Honorary Master
I bought my unit at Makro +- 2/3 weeks ago.

The only issue that I have discovered so far is that if you take around 30 music videos (divide the ones you want and then combine them again) and dub it to DVR+-R or DVD+-RW the resulting playback on the removable media is out of sync (while the HDD version is in perfect sync). Seems to caused by the fact that there are so many "edits" since this "out of sync" scenario does not otherwise occur. I am currently discussing this with LG.

There is a DV input on the front panel (have not used it yet).

These are the recording times you can expect:

Recordable time DVD (4.7GB): Approx. 1 hour (HQ mode), 2 hours (SQ mode),
4 hours (LQ mode), 6 hours (EQ mode)
DVD+R DL (8.5GB): Approx. 3 hour (HQ mode),
3 hours 40 minutes (SQ mode), 7 hours 10 minutes (LQ mode),
10 hours 30 minutes (EQ mode)
HDD (250GB): Approx. 66 hours 30 minutes (HQ mode),
129 hours (SQ mode), 239 hours (LQ mode), 356 hours (EQ mode)

I emailed Hirschs but managed to get stock from Makro in the meantime.

This was their reply...

Thank you for your enquiry, the price of the LG DVD Recorder will be R3499, at present we are out of stock but we expect the new stock to arrive end of July.

Please let us know if you would like us to contact you when they arrive.

Many Thanks
Sally Moodley
RICHARD HIRSCH
HIRSCH APPLIANCES

DbnCpl

Thanks Milano, i will contact Hirsch and try to place an order.
When you get to try out the DV input please provide feedback on the results.

regards

rburley

Expert Member
DbnCpl said:
R Burley

Thanks. I'm in Durban North.

Regards

There is a really good audio video gallery here in el that stock only top notch equipment, i will check if they have what you are lookin for.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Maybe phone your various Makro's this morning. Got a call last night from them to verify whether I still want one, as they've received about 15 @ R3999.

Last edited:

Luke7777

Executive Member
OK, make that R3795 at Makro Centurion. They still had a few "unallocated" ones

Luke7777

Executive Member
milano, or anyone else for that matter, have you tried to run this recorder in a mutli-tv setup ? My setup used to be : living room with sat to vcr to local tv, running rf out from vcr to multiple points in the house. Replaced vcr with recorder. Since the recorder also has antenna in/rf out, I expected it to behave the same as the vcr, broadcasting its current source of input(dvd,hdd,channel) thru rf out to the rest of the house. No luck. Direct connection of rf out to local tv doesn't work either. Have to use A/V cable to local tv. Is this the way the recorder functions, or am I missing a trick somewhere ?

Milano

Honorary Master
The 'RF out' on the recorder only serves to loop your aerial reception through to your TV. If you want to play the recorder in other rooms then you will need an RF converter.

My experience has been that RF converters do not provide as good a reception as AV so - You could split the AV audio and video out using multiple splitters so that one set can go to your local TV and the other set can got to the RF converter for transmission to the other rooms.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Thanks milano. will go hunt down that converter. Can't have that recorder under "room arrest" now, can we ? :)

DbnCpl

Hi All. I just got one from Makro (Springfield) this Sat. The recorder is as impressive as a expected. Price R3795.
I tested the ffg functions with success all round:
- Recording directly from DSTV onto DVD ... suggest SQ on 4.7GB disk for full movies (get about 122min)
- Recording from DSTV onto HDD ... go for HQ because there is lots of disk space (66hours worth in HQ mode)
- Edited HDD movie and burnt (dubbed) onto DvD ... **** those late nite DsTV movies are really great hey !!!
- Connected my Sony mini DV into the firewire port and recorded directly onto DvD

This recorder is amazing ... to hell now with all that clumzy PC software to make home DvDs from camcorders and all that "encoding" wait-time bull****.

Still to trie out is the full editting capabilities on the recorder.

Oh yes ... i got it connected to my plasma screen using component outputs ... the clarity is perfect for both orginal viewing as well as SQ stuff recorded onto DVD.

Leave me a note for further info required.

Go get yourself on if you serious about home DvDs.

Regards 2 all that contributed.

Dolby

Honorary Master
But component on that machine is only out - right?

Which means that when you record, you are recording from a normal composite signal?

DbnCpl

Thats correct. No component input ... but if you had one it would serve no purpose unless DSTV decoders have component outputs to plug into the inputs of the LG recorder. I use the component output to drive the component inputs of my plasma. The fibre optic sound output goes into my AMP for 5.1 surround sound. With the dual facility DSTV decorders you can watch another channel while recording a different channel. Beware to use the right remote to change channels otherwise your recording gets mixed up. **** ... now i have tons of remotes all over the place. Can anyone recommend a SMART remote that controls all my devices like dual function DSTV, LG recorder and LG Plasma and Sony AMP?

regards

Dolby

Honorary Master
I've also got a ton ... around 9 different remote in the lounge ... TV , amp , DVD/SACD , DSTV, VCR , satellite radio , CD player , heater and Sony PS2 DVD.

About 8 years back I bought myself a Marantz RC2000 remote control. It was pretty pricy back then (R1500.00) for a remote contol! It was a full on learning remote. It didn't have these crappy codes or anything. The remote was 300g and ate through batteries. It has macro function, light sensor, was extremly powerful, and easy to use once programmed. http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/12.htm

6 month ago I decided to go for something a little smaller and more modern, and got myself a Marantz RC1200 (I think). It was R1200.00 and skimmped on a few features (light sensor), but is great as well!

I reluctantly sold the Marantz RC2000 a few weeks ago