DVD RECORDER (Is LG RH-7624 the Best Model?)

walterg

milano said:
I bought my unit at Makro +- 2/3 weeks ago.

The only issue that I have discovered so far is that if you take around 30 music videos (divide the ones you want and then combine them again) and dub it to DVR+-R or DVD+-RW the resulting playback on the removable media is out of sync (while the HDD version is in perfect sync). Seems to caused by the fact that there are so many "edits" since this "out of sync" scenario does not otherwise occur. I am currently discussing this with LG.

Any further news on this? LG have also removed this recorder from their website.

Luke7777

Executive Member
walterg, have you tried contacting Makro, since they still list it ? Makro in Centurion had some spare when I bought a few weeks ago

from the link : valid : 30 Jul 2005 - 15 Aug 2005

and then LG had the cheek to put it back on their website, even with a hot product link on the front page, just to make you look bad :D

Last edited:

harry11

Hi All.
I just got one from Makro on Tuesday.
So fare I’m impressed with the fetchers and cheaper than the Panasonic.

Last edited:

walterg

Luke7777 said:
walterg, have you tried contacting Makro, since they still list it ? Makro in Centurion had some spare when I bought a few weeks ago

from the link : valid : 30 Jul 2005 - 15 Aug 2005

and then LG had the cheek to put it back on their website, even with a hot product link on the front page, just to make you look bad :D

:) very sneaky of them. I actually have the recorder already but had no time to check the editing capabilities....until last night. Only problem is that one of the discs that came with the machine was broken so I'll have to try this again tonight. I did notice a slight deterioration in pic quality when editing though.

garyaa

defective design LG RH-7624

its a great dvr

only negatives are:
1 you cant chase & play a programmed timer recording while its recording
2 you must switch off dvr for timers to work so if your kids leave it on you miss your timer programs
3 loses all the settings if the power goes off. i put a battery backup ups on it to stop this.
4 no rf out so u cant view in another room unless u play it through the av of a video recorder or put an rf converter in

im sure items 1 & 2 can be corrected by software upgrade (if this is possible) because u can chase & play a manual set recording

Last edited:

I also have a LG RH 7624 that I purchased from Makro Springfield when they first advertised it. For the price (R3495.00) and its features it was the best buy for me.

I use the recorder primarily to record from DSTV for later viewing at my convenience. Initially the timer recording worked perfectly and all that I programmed was recorded. A few weeks ago we had a power failure and I had to reset all the settings on the DVR. Since then all the timer recordings do not work. The recorder starts recording at the scheduled time but will stop recording after 04.01(4 mins 1 sec). This happens with all the timer recordings! :confused: I went through all the settings and they all seem fine so I dont know what could be causing this..... Anyone else experience this?? I sent an email to LG SA Technical Services regarding this as well but no reply yet.

A nice addition to this recorder would have been dual TV tuners so you can watch one channel on DSTV whilst recording another. Is ther any way to do this using the 7624?

Gambit

Expert Member
A nice addition to this recorder would have been dual TV tuners so you can watch one channel on DSTV whilst recording another. Is ther any way to do this using the 7624?
You would need a dual view dstv decoder to watch 2 dstv channels at the same time. This can't be implemented on a dvr recorder because both channels would need to be decrypted by the decoder.

Luke7777

Executive Member
What if you have dual view ? Correct me if i'm wrong, but it can be watched on *different* tv sets, but not on the same one (i.e. picture in picture) , so I don't know how that's going to help. Haven't seen the back panel of a dual view decoder though regarding outputs

Gambit

Expert Member
You are able to watch 2 dstv channels at the same time on a tv that has picture in picture using a dual view decoder. Therefore just to clear up a possible misinterpretation of my last post: If you have a dual view decoder you can record one dstv channel with a dvr, vcr... and you can watch another dstv channel on your tv.

Last edited:

George Rex

DbnCpl said:
Hi All. I just got one from Makro (Springfield) this Sat. The recorder is as impressive as a expected. Price R3795.
I tested the ffg functions with success all round:
- Recording directly from DSTV onto DVD ... suggest SQ on 4.7GB disk for full movies (get about 122min)
- Recording from DSTV onto HDD ... go for HQ because there is lots of disk space (66hours worth in HQ mode)
- Edited HDD movie and burnt (dubbed) onto DvD ... **** those late nite DsTV movies are really great hey !!!
- Connected my Sony mini DV into the firewire port and recorded directly onto DvD

This recorder is amazing ... to hell now with all that clumzy PC software to make home DvDs from camcorders and all that "encoding" wait-time bull****.

Still to trie out is the full editting capabilities on the recorder.

Oh yes ... i got it connected to my plasma screen using component outputs ... the clarity is perfect for both orginal viewing as well as SQ stuff recorded onto DVD.

Leave me a note for further info required.

Go get yourself on if you serious about home DvDs.

Regards 2 all that contributed.
I also purchased a LG RH7624W. Have hit a snag. Will not dub on to a Verbatim DVD-R disc. Performs all other DVD functions perfectly. And yes, one other thing. When dividing a movie i usual mark the spot with the pause function. By the time you press divide and then done the movie has moved on a few frames.

Milano

Honorary Master
My LG turned on me - it decided to start recoding everything out of sync even on the HDD. Sent it in for repairs and it is due back next week. I am gonna be pissed if this is the start of endless hassles. Hope LG is competent when it comes to fault diagnosis since they have had the recorder for long enough - 21 days already.

LoneGunman

Expert Member
try my trick, for causing trouble with local electronic companies - contact LG HQ overseas, and send repeated (but polite) complaints about the substandard and slow service of their SA branch..
Local companies only take so long because no one complains to the HQ's that they're the 'local franchise' of. Usual repair turnaround time, by US standards, should be a week at most.

Neural

DbnCpl said:
Can anyone recommend a SMART remote that controls all my devices like dual function DSTV, LG recorder and LG Plasma and Sony AMP?
regards
Hi DbnCpl

I have just bought a Harmony 885 Remote to replace my 5 remotes! Best piece of equipment I have ever bought. With the click of a single button, the plasma turns on, the AV amp turns on, DSTv turns on, the video processor turns on, and everything sets itself on to the correct input. Watching a video, recording to video, watching a DVD, listening to a CD or the Radio also works with the click of a button.

Have a look here... Harmony 885 Remote

The remote is setup online, it is then updated, rebooted and ready for use. The channel logos of your "favourites" can be customised for all of our DStv channels, and having a rechargeable base means that the batteries don't run down. Not cheap at R2000, but gets a 10 out of 10 from me. :D

To test drive (i.e. setup the remote to works with your particular hardware) the remote, click this link, click on "I don't have a log in ID", then click on I have installed the software" and follow the rest of the commands on the following screens etc.

Last edited:

Milano

Honorary Master
My LG turned on me - it decided to start recording everything out of sync even on the HDD. Sent it in for repairs and it is due back next week. I am gonna be pissed if this is the start of endless hassles. Hope LG is competent when it comes to fault diagnosis since they have had the recorder for long enough - 21 days already.

Okay, so they replaced the recorder as they were unable to repair it within 30 days.

So I am now on to my second unit which I have now had for about 5 weeks. Would you believe it just started doing the same thing? It worked 100% at first but is now starting to record out of sync...ie. the audio/video is out of sync.

That is 2/2.

Is nobody else having this problem?

Gamer

Expert Member
Sorry to bring this up after so long, just found this post.

Anybody got more info or insight on problems with these LG's or are they okay?

swordfish1

Expert Member
mine is ok so far, but haven't tested it properly yet.

function wise it is quite good, quality of recording (even LQ mode) very good.

it is quite slow when copying cds onto it, can't sort mp3s if you dump them on the HDD, this is probably the biggest issue I have with it so far, very annoying

milano and some other guys are having sync problems and some freezing problems, I haven't had any so far

Gamer

Expert Member
Thanks swordfish1 for the feedback,

I will give the RH7521W a try.

Last edited:

Bushbaby14

Endless Problems

Hi all

I am so grateful to see that others are having problems too, but has anyone been able to sort something out yet?

We are on our second unit and today it just started giving the same problems.

Over and above the 4 minute recordings it now refuses, or takes a long time, to switch on. It comes on and says HDD check and then switches off again.

If anyone is reading this and has experienced this problem, DON'T switch it off. Copy all your saved stuff onto disks and take the unit back. This is what happened with our first unit. They can't fix it and so you lose all your saved programs etc when they give you a new unit.

We got ours from Govan Mani and we don't want a new one after all this trouble, but unfortunately no cash refunds.

If anyone has any insight please let me know. :confused:

swordfish1

Expert Member
haven't got any "switching on" problems as yet, but I seldom switch it off on first place.

I heard of the 4 min recording problem from some of the other guys, I have recorded only about 10 documentaries so far, and I had no problem recording whatsoever, the sync seems to be fine too, so far.

Just a question, the 4 min problem, were you recording from coaxial to hard disk, or? thanks

Milano

Honorary Master
Be sure to also read the other LG recorder threads if you haven't already.

I no longer own the unit. I returned my 3rd unit and accepted the cash refund from Makro.

I may try the Sony HX910 next.