DWL 2100ap signal strength Please help

keng

Home WAN
Situation
AP came with standard 1 metre ethernet cable. Plugged directly into machine 1 and AP.

Problem
Signal strength to machine 2 in other room is weak. It's works but is weak. Buying extention antenna for AP costs too much

Possible Solution
Thinking about placing AP in roof as easier for signal to come through ceiling (rhino board) than through several walls. Before buying metres of cable.

Q. What is the impact of extending the ethernet cable length between machine 1.and AP to say 10 metres?

wab512

I am no expert with AP's, but don't think it will be a problem if you extend the ethernet cable. From what I understand, it will be a problem if you extend the antenna cable. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

freeek

Expert Member
nothing. cable can go up 2 a 100m. why not just run a cable from the 1 pc 2 the other pc? faster simplier easiar! :)

..- dot dot dash ;)

andres101

Expert Member
why not build your own antenna?

google for:
DIY wifi antenna
cantenna
chinese cookware antenna

have a look at sawireless.tripod.com, they have some nice links.

i'm going to build a omni antenna using LMR-400 cabble and brass rods. i just have to get the time...

keng

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Freeek I previously had cable running through the house in a standard P2P set up. Wife and kids always tripping over the stuff as it wasn't in the roof. Resident Canine also took a disliking to CAT[u/]5.
Also use my lap top.

Anyway good friend who works in cabling is going to come round this evening so we'll try the cable extention.
Again thanks to all three of you.