DynDNS - Monthly new account web login for free accounts - what are the options?

Electron1

Expert Member
DynDNS - Monthly account web login required for free accounts - what are the options?

DynDNS now are tightening the screws on the free accounts.

Starting now, if you would like to maintain your free Dyn account, you must log into your account once a month. Failure to do so will result in expiration and loss of your hostname. Note that using an update client will no longer suffice for this monthly login. You will still continue to get email alerts every 30 days if your email address is current.
So now you have to login to the page https://account.dyn.com/entrance/ enter your account username and password every 30 days.
Is there a simple automation that could be done to do this on a schedule? I see there are perl scripts here or someone suggested lastpass here

There is an offer to upgrade to pro for one year for $10, but then $25 per year thereafter.
Another option is no-ip.org.

Any other suggestions?

There is another thread referring to this change, http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/529138-DYNDNS?highlight=dyndns, just wanted to see if anyone has more alternatives.

EDIT - fixed title

Last edited:

froot

Honorary Master
With the current system, my hostname still didn't expire as they said it would.... so that one was obviously flawed. I will however have to sort something now though.

MickZA

Executive Member
With the current system, my hostname still didn't expire as they said it would.... so that one was obviously flawed. I will however have to sort something now though.

As long as the hostname is in active use you don't need to confirm it on a monthly basis, it's only inactive hostnames you may have "shelved" for testing etc that it applies to (I've got 4) so it's no big deal.

froot

Honorary Master
As long as the hostname is in active use you don't need to confirm it on a monthly basis, it's only inactive hostnames you may have "shelved" for testing etc that it applies to (I've got 4) so it's no big deal.

Ah ok. Yeah mine's configured in my router, so it gets updated everytime I restart it.

Electron1

Expert Member
Not anymore - as in the the op - Note that using an update client will no longer suffice for this monthly login.
you have to login to your account on their webpage.

froot

Honorary Master
Not anymore - as in the the op - Note that using an update client will no longer suffice for this monthly login.
you have to login to your account on their webpage.

He's referring to the previous rules. I've already added a login script for mine now.

Dean

Expert Member

The email was sent out this week. The way you explain it is how it has always been, and my understanding is that its now going to change from now on. Am I and the OP misinterpreting?

MickZA

Executive Member
The email was sent out this week. The way you explain it is how it has always been, and my understanding is that its now going to change from now on. Am I and the OP misinterpreting?
All I can say is that I've got over 20 free hostnames on IPCop firewalls and the only ones I've been warned about are my inactive "shelved" accounts - same as it's been for ever.

Dear Dyn Customer,

Your Dyn account "xxxxxxZA", free hostname(s) will expire in 5 days. If you no
longer need the hostname(s), simply disregard this email and expiration
will automatically occur.

Free hostnames must be updated every 30 days to remain active. Inactive
hostnames will expire and be deleted. If you wish to prevent the
hostname(s) from expiring, please visit the link below:
https://account.dyn.com/eml/expatconf/19/hDuxCNZN1GOlAOJ924YYRQ

Keep your hostname(s) active without having to update every 30 days, by
purchasing a DynDNS Pro upgrade today: http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-pro/

Edit: needless to say IPCop performs scheduled and automatic DNS updates

Last edited:

MickZA

Executive Member
Might explain the confusion as I've had my accounts/hostnames since well before 2011:

In November 2011 Dyn reduced the number of free hostnames provided from five to one (but only after signing up for a free trial), except for existing users with active hostnames.[6] Registering for the service involves the purchase of a trial version of Dynamic DNS Pro at no cost, and requires a valid credit card, effectively rendering the service non-anonymous.

I'm guessing the OP has a single account limited to one hostname?

froot

Honorary Master
Might explain the confusion as I've had my accounts/hostnames since well before 2011:

I'm guessing the OP has a single account limited to one hostname?

Same. I've had mine since 2009-ish.

atomicrabbit

DynDNS.org Auto-Login for Free Users

I've created a VBScript that will automate logging into your free DynDNS accounts every X days. Check it out here:

http://pastebin.com/tQZyhdqD

Copy/paste the code into an empty file named dyndns_autologin.vbs.

Usage:
Manually run dyndns_autologin.vbs from the command line:
Code:
dyndns_autologin.vbs username password

OR you can run the script from a scheduled task by adding an action pointing to:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\CScript.exe
and with the following arguments:
Code:
//Nologo //B C:\path\to\dyndns_autologin.vbs username password

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
If you have a DLink router use dlinkddns.com, its free for DLink users

froot

Honorary Master
I haven't logged into my account in 6 weeks now. My router is updating my IP for me and I use it regularly so I know it still works.