DynDNS on Telkom Netgear router not working - sends local IP instead of public IP

Saajid

Expert Member
I have a Telkom-branded Netgear DGN2200m, and have successfully used DynDNS on it before.

However, sometime in the last few months (not sure when), it stopped working. I have a paid for DynDNS account, and 2 of my other ADSL routers (both Netgear DG834) on the same account (with different domain names) are working fine. The account allows up to 10 different domains and devices to be registered.

As far as I can tell, my setup is correct. However, the router seems to be sending it's local IP address (192.168.x.y) to the DynDNS servers, instead of the public one assigned by Telkom/Afrihost.

I have some static routes set up on the router to block/redirect Google DNS, as I am using Unotelly with Netflix and Hulu. I'm not sure if this might be causing a problem, but I can't see how.

I've re-entered my host-name, and username and password. I don't think this is the problem, as there is defintely communication between my router and DynDNS.com (DynDNS web interface shows the exact local IP address, and if I manually update my IP address to the public one, using the web interface, it works for a day or two, and when I check back, the web interface shows my local IP address again).

Short of doing a factory reset, is there anything else I need look out for?

Last edited:

Saajid

Expert Member
Only one router on my network. The other routers I mentioned are each on their own networks in different locations. The reason I mentioned them was to highlight that there was nothing wrong with my setup or my DynDNS account (as far as I can tell), as those routers are setup exactly the same, and have no issues.