I remember the same thing... Essential upgrades for the World Cup and if you oppose these upgrades you're an unpatriotic racist because you want SA to fail.I was under the impression the whole excercise was to get the roads up to standard for 2010?
I cannot remember if they made any mention of tolling before and during that period.
IzZzy, I read your response in the other thread, and I know you're just defending your profession, but come on... This isn't mere public opinion. It is clear to even the most callous observer that we're dealing with a scheme hatched by a bunch of corrupt, self-enriching, amoral bastards; to defend that one has to oneself be, frankly, without any moral direction.
I do remember one thing however. It was either for the gautrain or the highways - the contractor requested that they be paid extra to finish the project before the time....I remember the same thing... Essential upgrades for the World Cup and if you oppose these upgrades you're an unpatriotic racist because you want SA to fail.
There is plenty to be done from the public's perspective. You lot intentionally withheld information from the public in order to reach this point and the deal is as corrupt as the arms deal and Nkandla. The public will revolt against you thieving, conniving, palm-greasing liars...#eTolls Unterhalter repeats: There is no going back on e-tolls as a funding mechanism. There is nothing to be done.
and this obscure doc from April 2010The South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) tapped into its 2020 and 2034 bonds and issued a new 2023 inflation-linked bond, and overall bids received totalled 1.15 billion rand, RMB and Absa Capital said in a statement.
"837 million rand of bonds were allocated at market spreads of 0.55 percent over the RSA Government benchmarks -- tighter than the previous closing spreads for the nominal bonds and a spread of 37 basis points for the inflation-linked bond."
Sanral has now raised 15.9 billion rand for road upgrades, particularly for freeways around biggest city Johannesburg ahead of this year's soccer World Cup.
Not all lawyers are bad - it's only the 99% of them that give the other 1% a bad name.David Unterhalter, you are a disgrace.
Clearly some attorneys have no moral compass and are just in it for the money.