E-toll freeways saved you money: economist

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Standish is a retard, and I would guess he's never actually driven on those roads in peak hour traffic...

system32

Expert Member
Standish - Another SANRAL shill.
According to Sanral’s research, between R29.5 billion and R29.7bn was spent on the GFIP’s first phase
WHAT BS is this???
A Google search shows "Sanral had envisaged the cost of the GFIP project in 2006 would be in the order of R6.4bn, but it eventually cost R18bn."

Google never forgets.

SCAMRAL - stop your lies.

krycor

Honorary Master
Sounds like an audit is needed and many hidden skeletons to be shown

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
an erroneous methodology if ever there was one as it conflates the fact the toll roads which reduce commute distances and time by a greater amount than the cost of the toll produce a net benefit to users with the imposition of tolls on an existing road.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I call BS to his statement.

Fact : Getting from point A to point B costed you a certain amount on fuel and wear and tear irrespective of time taken.

eTolls just add an extra financial burden, that is all.

Kawak

As an economist you should know. A system that requires 1/3 of its input costs to run is inefficient. This simply means if it can be considered as a cost saving exercise then we can save much more by doing something else. And if a system ends up paying a bulk sum of that cost overseas, depleting our very own forex reserves in the process, then there is definitely something much better that we can do.

U must be a Scamral cronie

Mier

Expert Member
Wonder how must he got paid for this crap.

All I remember is endless lane closures, which made the traffic even worst. And then half the time, no work was being done in the closed lane.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I wonder if people should send him pictures of these beautiful flowing freeways he seems to think the project brought us... Around midnight might give the best shot of no traffic?

Arthur

Honorary Master
Actually, he's right, in a very, narrow sort of way. Freeways do make cross-city travel faster and cheaper than start-stop suburban roads. And motorists benefit ... so long as freeways remain unclogged and actually deliver what they're designed to do - rapid, transurban travel. We don't have enough of them.

The professor gives a good reason why we should have freeways, and maintain them, and expand them as required.

But you can't gratuitously leap from extolling the general benefit of freeways to justifying any particular method of paying for them. Funding methods are a very different and distinct question. E-tolling is just one of many possibilities, and it's been rejected by the people.

Either the professor is an ivory tower academic out of touch with the bigger picture, or his point is being hijacked and misrepresented by others to serve their own agenda. Or both.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Here's the faulty syllogism:

1. Freeways save motorists money.

2. E-tolling pays for freeways.

3. Therefore e-tolling saves motorists money.

A seven year old can spot the error.

To be fair, I'm not sure our Learned Economist makes the above argument. It might be the way SANRAL spins it, or it might be a very naughty journalist.

Bismuth

Expert Member
I call BS to his statement.

Fact : Getting from point A to point B costed you a certain amount on fuel and wear and tear irrespective of time taken.

eTolls just add an extra financial burden, that is all.

True, I travel the some route I have since long before they switched on the Etoll gantries, and have yet to see how they have "saved" me money. I still use the same amount of petrol, and same amount of wear and tear as I had before the Etolls. Would've actually been costing me MORE if I bother paying Etoll.

I noticed a changed for the worse in the traffic patterns on the DAY they activated the gantries, and it hasn't changed since.

So, Mr. Standish, I maintain that you are a fool paid by SANRAL to make such idiotic statements. And your mathematics is as deluded as SANRAL's, are you guys using the same Excel spreadhsheet to do all these calculations, by any chance?

B

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Saving money for 3 years and then being ordered to pay for it isn't fking saving money is it.
And that from a economist.

grok

Honorary Master
He's actually right .. I probably owe tens of thousands & I'm simply not paying it.

Tadaa! Savings of tens of thousand rands!! :D

----------------

He's actually talking a mountain of k@k, not just in terms of the 'possible savings' but when trying to spin e-tolls as a nett saver of money for the country.

E-tolls does not only affect people actually using the highways dumass!

Even if one group who can afford the fees or want to support their master's corruption might, and I seriously doubt it, save some money.. any nett saving is offset by the other group who now struggles to negotiate the overcrowded & undermaintained back roads.

Less direct route with more stops = increased cost.

E-tolls didn't save us money, it just shifted burden of payment around. Effectively dividing highway usage based on people's disposable income. If you think about it, that's the whole ANC claim since 1994. No growth, no jobs, no expansion, no new money.. just redistributing of wealth, taking what one group have accumulated and giving it to another group that has accumulated nothing.

Last edited:

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Here's the faulty syllogism:

1. Freeways save motorists money.

2. E-tolling pays for freeways.

3. Therefore e-tolling saves motorists money.

A seven year old can spot the error.

To be fair, I'm not sure our Learned Economist makes the above argument. It might be the way SANRAL spins it, or it might be a very naughty journalist.

I agree with you 100% on this. I don't think though it is a spin by the media on what they saying ( misinterpreting what the guys have said) because that pollock Andrew Marsey last night was saying basically the same thing.

You were saving money on wear and tear and petrol because there is no traffic jams anymore. These guys obviously don't live here if they think there has been any change in the amount of cars and traffic jams on our roads because of etolls. It takes me the same amount of time and wear and tear on my car as before.